Shine Night Walk event rules
Shine Night Walk Event Rules 2020
These rules (“the Rules”) apply to Shine Night Walk (the “Event”), and by registering for the Event you are agreeing to comply with them. Please check this page from time to time, as we may occasionally amend the Rules and any changes will be binding on all participants and supporters.
If you have any questions, please contact the Shine Night Walk hotline on 0300 123 6624* and a member of our team will be happy to assist you.
Shine Night Walk is organised by Cancer Research UK Trading Limited (a company registered in England and Wales, registered office: 2 Redman Place, London, E20 1JQ, registered company number: 4355631), a trading company which Gift Aids its taxable profits to Cancer Research UK is a registered charity in England and Wales (1089464), Scotland (SC041666), the Isle of Man (1103) and Jersey (247).
Where reference is made to “CRUK” in these Rules, it means both Cancer Research UK and Cancer Research UK Trading Limited.
1. The entry fee of £39.99 per participant shall apply for London Full and Half Marathon, and £19.99 for London 10k. Shine regional 10k Events will cost £14.99, although we may offer discounts or promotional offers from time to time. This fee contributes towards the costs of staging the Event.
2. Unfortunately, given the limited number of spaces for the event, the entry fee is non-refundable unless we change the Event venue, time and/or date in a material way and you are no longer able to attend the event, or if we cancel the event altogether. We ask that you let us know as soon as possible if you need or want to withdraw from your Event for any reason.
3. Entry places in the Event are personal to participants and you may not transfer your place to anyone else, as it may cause problems of identification in the event that medical assistance is required during the Event, for example.
4. Shine Night Walk entry packs will be issued to registered participants from June 2019 onwards. If you register for the event after this time and your Shine Night Walk welcome pack does not arrive within two months of registration, please call the Shine Night Walk hotline on 0300 123 6624 and we will advise you of the appropriate arrangements.
5. We are unable to accept any entries on the night of the London Full and Half Marathon to help ensure that it is run safely. Our regional 10k Events will allow entries on the night.
6. Shine Night Walk is open to both men and women. Only registered participants aged 13 or over on the night of the London Full and Half Marathon Event who have paid the entry fee (or had the fee paid for them) are eligible to take part. Only registered participants aged 11 or over on the night of the regional 10k Events who have paid the entry fee (or had the fee paid for them) are eligible to take part. Unfortunately, we do not accept entries under the ages specified (13 for London and 11 for the Regional Events) for health and safety reasons.
7. Participants aged 11 to 17 (inclusive) on the night of a regional 10k Event or 13 to 17 (inclusive) on the night of the London Full and Half Marathon Event must be registered in addition to and accompanied by, another participant aged 18 or over. Participants aged 18 or over will be able to register an extra participant aged between 11 or 13 to 17 (as applicable) in the entry form on our website and will be required to enter parental or legal guardian contact details for extra participants aged under 17. If you are registering an extra participant who is under 17, you must have permission from that person’s parent or legal guardian.
8. Participants may be required to provide proof of age on the night of the event. We reserve the right to refuse entry to the event, with no refund, to any participant who is underage or is unable to provide proof of age when requested to do so by an Event official.
9. Event entry will close when maximum participant capacity is reached, but no later than 2 days before the London Full and Half Marathon Events. All regional 10k Events will remain open until the morning of that event.
1. Shine Night Walk is open to volunteers aged 13 or over on the night of the event. If you wish to volunteer and are over the age of 18, you can do so here. If you are 17 or under and want to volunteer please email email@example.com.
2. If you are aged between 13 and 15 (inclusive) on the night of the event, you will need to be accompanied on the night by a parent or guardian who has also registered as a volunteer in advance. You will not be able to volunteer if your parent/guardian is not with you on the night.
3. If you will be 16 or 17 on the night of the event, you will not need to be accompanied on the night but will need to hand in a written parental/guardian consent form on arrival to the Volunteer Manager/Area Manager. Without this, you will not be able to volunteer.
4. You can request parental/guardian consent forms by emailing us.
5. If you would like to enter a team of volunteers, you can do so by putting a team name in the entry form for each volunteer. You are responsible for ensuring the same team name (spelt the same way) is entered on each form. However, while we will do our best to place everyone with the same team name together, this cannot be guaranteed.
1. Wheelchair users are encouraged to enter Shine Night Walk, providing they have assistance at the Event. All participants wishing to take part in Shine Night Walk using a wheelchair must call the Shine Night Walk hotline on 0300 123 6624* to make the appropriate arrangements.
2. Unfortunately, mobility scooter users are not allowed to take part in Shine Night Walk. The health and safety of our participants are very important to us and we cannot guarantee that each type of mobility scooter will be able to manoeuvre the Shine Night Walk route.
3. Unfortunately, no pets (except service dogs), baby strollers/prams or roller skates/blades, skateboards and/or scooters or any other item that we deem unsuitable or which could potentially inhibit or affect the safety of other participants and/or spectators are allowed on the Event course.
4. At the beginning of the Event, certain areas will be restricted to participants only. Spectators will be able to view from key designated areas.
Start times for the Events
Participants will start each distance at 10-minute intervals as follows:
• Full Marathon: Every 10 minutes from 7 pm until 8.20 pm
• Half Marathon: Every 10 minutes from 8.30 pm until 9.20 pm
• 10k: Every 10 minutes from 9.30pm until 10pm
You need to:
• Choose which interval start time you'd like to join, along with your friends.
• We ask that you arrive 35-45 minutes before your chosen start time. For example, if you're taking part in the full marathon, and want to start as part at the 7.30 pm slot, you should arrive at around 6.45 pm-6.55 pm.
• It's crucial that you arrive within the correct time slot for your distance. You will not be able to begin your event in the incorrect time slot.
• Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee your exact start time, and there may be some waiting on the night.
Other Shine 10k events:
The start time for the other Shine 10k events varies depending on sunset timings. Please check the event pages to find out your arrival information.
Changes and Last Minute Arrangements
1. Once you have registered you are unable to switch to an alternative distance or start time without first notifying us. This is because we have strict capacity limits for each start time, and for health and safety reasons we need to make sure that neither Event distance nor start time exceeds its individual capacity. If you do wish to switch to an alternative distance or start time please contact the Shine Night Walk hotline on 0300 123 6624* and we will endeavour to support your request. In the event that we can accommodate a change of distance, you will incur a £5 administration charge to cover the administration of the transfer and the cost of the production and distribution of your new Shine Night Walk pack. This will include your new walking number and event details.
2. We reserve the right to refuse entry to participants who try to take part in the wrong event distance (13.1 miles and 26.2 miles) or start time without prior approval (see rule 1 above), and no refund will be provided.
3. We reserve the right to alter or reduce any Shine Night Walk course. No refunds will be due in these circumstances although we will try to notify participants in advance of any significant changes where we are able to do so.
1. All participants and supporters must abide by the Rules and any rules, instructions or regulations displayed or given on the day of the Event by police and/or Event officials.
2. We respectfully ask all participants along with their supporters not to use aggressive or abusive language towards our Event organisers, marshals, officials, volunteers and other participants. You should also avoid behaving in a way which may cause injury or harm to other participants and/or spectators, or which may cause offence or damage the reputation of CRUK.
3. Spectators are not permitted to walk the route with participants. Everyone taking part in the Shine Night Walk must be a registered participant.
4. We respectfully ask all participants along with their supporters to be respectful of local residents whilst out on the route and not to make any excessive noise.
5. We respectfully ask all participants and their supporters to use the litter and recycling facilities available within the venues and around the course. Please respect the communities you are walking through and do not drop litter but carry it with you until you can dispose of it responsibly.
6. Cancer Research UK opposes the promotion and use of tobacco in all its forms. All participants and supporters are therefore required to refrain from smoking tobacco products or e-cigarettes at Shine Night Walk.
7. We reserve the right to ask participants and supporters to leave the Event if they do not adhere to these Rules, and no refunds shall be given in these circumstances.
Closure of Course and Finish Venue
1. We reserve the right to shut down the Event course and close access to all our finish venues at each Event, including our Shine 10K’s after an appropriate amount of time has passed from the start of the Event.
The London venue (Old Billingsgate) will close at 12pm the day after the start day of the Event (i.e. 12pm Sunday for an event that started on Saturday evening)
Shine 10k venues will close approx. 3 ½ hours after each stated start time.
Any participant who has not finished the Event by this time but chooses to continue does so at their own risk with the understanding that they are no longer considered a participant of the Event, and as such are not eligible for any Event resources (including but not limited to pit stops, suppliers, venues, refreshments, course direction/support, personnel etc), and that they absolve us of any and all responsibility and progress entirely at their own risk.
Health and Safety and Medical
1. Participants are responsible for ensuring that they are sufficiently fit and healthy to take part in Shine Night Walk. Any participant unsure of their physical ability to take part in the Event must seek medical advice from their General Practitioner prior to the Event.
2. Notwithstanding rule 1 above, we reserve the right to refuse entry to the Event in our absolute discretion, with no refund provided, if for whatever reason we consider a person unfit to take part.
3. Shine Night Walk is a non-competitive walk, and participants are reminded that running is not allowed. For health and safety reasons, all personnel have been instructed not to permit runners to take part in the Event. If you do run on the night then you will not be considered an official participant of the event, and as such you will not be eligible to use any Event resources (including but not limited to pit stops, suppliers, access to the finish venue, refreshments, course direction/support, personnel etc.). You understand that by running you absolve us of any and all responsibility and that you progress entirely at your own risk.
4. As Shine Night Walk is a non-competitive walk, participants are requested to wear flat shoes and dress appropriately for the weather conditions.
5. All participants must write the following on the reverse of their walking number, which must be worn on the front of shirts during the Event:
- your name
- details of any health problems or current medication
- the name and number of a person to contact in case of an emergency
- any other information you consider could be relevant in the event of a medical emergency
To help us save money, please also remember to bring your own safety pins!
6. We take all reasonable steps to minimise the risk of injury to participants during fundraising events. There is a stringent risk assessment process in place for the event, which aims to minimise or eliminate the risk to everyone taking part. By taking part in this event, all participants acknowledge that there may be conditions or circumstances beyond our control that can lead to unforeseen risks. If you have any concerns or queries please contact us on 0300 123 6624* before agreeing to take part in this event.
Sponsorship Monies and Donations
1. To help us beat cancer sooner, we ask each Shine Night Walk participant to try and raise at least £260 for Cancer Research UK if taking part in a full or half marathon, or £100 if taking part in a 10k.
2. All participants have a legal responsibility to ensure that all sponsorship monies/donations received in connection with the Event are paid to Cancer Research UK. We ask that you do this as soon as possible after the Event. You can:
- Set up a Cancer Research UK Giving Pages account to raise money online
- Pay in your sponsorship money online with your credit or debit card, or call us on 0300 123 6624* with your credit or debit card details.
- Send cheques made payable to "Cancer Research UK" to:
Cancer Research UK
PO Box 1561
stating “Shine Night Walk 2019” and your walking number or Unique Reference Number on the reverse of the cheque.
3. Please note that we are unable to accept your sponsorship money on the night of the Event as Cancer Research UK does not have the suitable cash handling facilities to fulfil this process.
4. Please ensure that all donations and/or sponsorship forms are returned to Cancer Research UK at the above address to enable us to claim Gift Aid where possible.
5. Where funds are raised for a specific area of research the funds are treated as ‘restricted income’ and are reported as such in Cancer Research UK’s annual report and accounts.
6. Cancer Research UK will do its best to facilitate any request to change to the specific area of research which you choose to raise funds for. To request a change please call the Shine Night Walk hotline on 0300 123 6624*. In the event the change can be accommodated, you will incur a £5 administration charge.
7. In the unlikely event that surplus funds are raised for a specific cancer type, any excess will be applied for Cancer Research UK’s general purposes.
Use of your information
1. By providing your information when you register for Shine Night Walk, we will use this information for the purposes of organising, staging and administering the Event, including in order to send you your fundraising pack. Cancer Research UK may also contact you to discuss your fundraising activity and follow up on your progress. If you provide personal information on behalf of additional entrants, please only provide this if they have confirmed that they are happy for you to do so as we will use this information for the same purposes. If you would prefer not to hear from us and have not already told us this when you entered, you can contact us on 0300 123 6624* or firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know.
2. In the case of an emergency, we may also pass personal details provided by you (either the information you provided when registering for the Event or from the details on the reverse of your Event number) to the emergency services or health care professionals, and also use them for the purposes of contacting your emergency contact.
3. First aid facilities will be provided at Shine Night Walk. If you are treated by medical providers, your details may be passed on to us only for health and safety purposes and in order to fulfil our legal obligations (including under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995). All accident details will be securely held on the Cancer Research UK Accident Database.
4. Your personal information may also be used for the purposes of sending communications to you where you have confirmed that you would like to receive further information about the charity’s work when registering for Shine Night Walk.
5. All personal data held by us will be handled in accordance with applicable privacy laws and CRUK’s privacy statement which can be found here.
Filming and Photography at Shine Night Walk
1. Please note that CRUK (and our authorised service providers and agents) or our commercial partners may film or photograph participants, volunteers and spectators taking part or attending the Event and use such footage or photographs for the following reasons:
- for CRUK to publicise the Event for commercial and/or fundraising purposes including, but not limited to, social media, television broadcasts, advertising, publications, marketing material, merchandising, and other documents that may be made available to the public;
- for our commercial partners to publicise their involvement and/or association with the Event.
2. No personal details (including names or photographs) of anyone under the age of 16 will be used in the manner described above without the written consent of that child’s parent or legal guardian, but we may use images where children are incidentally included, for example of mass participation in the warm-up exercises or on the starting line.
3. Subject to rule 2 above, please only register a participant under the age of 16 if the participant’s parent/legal guardian (as applicable) are happy for their images to be used in the manner described in these Rules.
SportCam in 2020
2. If you do not wish to have your photograph taken or for your photos to be made available as described above, please tell the photographer on the night.
3. All SportCam and third party photographers/videographers at Shine Night Walk have been instructed to ask for parental/guardian permission before taking any individual photographs of children at the Event. Whilst photographers/videographers will try to obtain parental/legal guardian’s consent before taking images where children are more than just incidentally included, this cannot be guaranteed. This does not include photography of crowd shots when permission will not be sought.
1. Use of the Shine Night Walk website is subject to our website terms and conditions.
2. All participants, volunteers and spectators attend and enter this event entirely at their own risk. CRUK shall not be liable for any injury or loss to persons or their property that might occur as a result of their participation in or attendance at Shine Night Walk other than in respect of any injury or loss arising as a result of our negligence. For the avoidance of doubt, nothing in this clause shall limit our liability for any other liability that cannot be restricted or excluded by law.
1. Stocks of our blue participant t-shirts are limited. In the event that the size requested is not available we will send an alternative size based on availability.
2. All participants understand that any products distributed at the Event are subject to availability and may be withdrawn or substituted if necessary. We cannot be held responsible for any third party supplier supplying merchandise or other items on the night of the event.
* Our lines are open Monday to Friday from 8.00 am to 6.00 pm (except bank holidays). Please note that calls to our hotline may be monitored or recorded to allow us to maintain our standards of customer service.