Full Terms and Conditions for the Cancer Research UK Weekly Lottery & Superdraw
The Cancer Research UK Weekly Lottery and Superdraw (the “Lottery”) is licensed by the Gambling Commission under the Gambling Act 2005.
Promoter: Cancer Research UK, 2 Redman Place, London, E20 1JQ (“We”, “Us”).
Responsible Person: Kathryn Toner.
Proceeds Information: In 2019 we raised just over £5 million from the sale of entries to our Lottery. 43% of these proceeds was used to help support our vital work. We used 54% to grow and administer our Lottery and 3% to pay prizes.
All profits raised from the Lottery will go towards the work of Cancer Research UK.
Registered Charity Numbers: 1089464 in England and Wales and SC041666 in Scotland, the Isle of Man (1103) and Jersey (247)
- By entering the Lottery you agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions. Any Lottery entry and participation instructions form part of these Terms and Conditions. Any entries not complying with these Terms and Conditions will not be valid.
- This Lottery is open only to individuals aged 16 years or over who live in Great Britain. Any person who has entered the Lottery and who is found to be under 16 years old will automatically forfeit any prize. We reserve the right to require proof of identity and age.
- The Lottery is open to our employees except for those directly involved in running the Lottery. The Lottery is not open to employees of any third party company involved in running the Lottery.
- The Lottery is a regular weekly draw which you can enter on a subscription basis (“subscription entries”) or on a one-off basis by purchasing “single entries” to a particular draw. Three times a year, the weekly draw will be replaced by a ‘Superdraw’ with a different pool of prizes including a bigger top prize. Any Lottery entries in a Superdraw week will become entries to the Superdraw at no additional cost to you. We reserve the right to advertise, and sell entries to, our Superdraw separately as a one-off draw. All single entries, whether to our standard Lottery draw or our Superdraw are subject to the same terms and conditions except where we state otherwise.
- The prizes are as described on the Lottery website at www.cruk.org/lottery and for Superdraw only at www.cruk.org/superdraw (the “Websites”) and in the letter accompanying any Lottery entry forms or Superdraw tickets sent by post. Some superdraw prizes are subject to additional terms and conditions. These are set out at paragraphs 19 to 21. Details of the prizes and of prize specific terms and conditions are also available by post on request to the Lottery Helpline on 0300 123 3019 and in participating Cancer Research UK shops. Prizes are subject to availability and we reserve the right to substitute any prize with another prize of equal or greater value. No interest shall be payable on cash prizes. Prizes are non-transferable, non-negotiable and except where expressly stated no cash alternative will be available.
- A Lottery draw will take place every Friday, except when a Friday falls on a bank holiday in England and then the draw will take place on the next working day in England.
- The dates of the next Superdraw and the relevant closing dates for entry will be as set out on the Websites, in letters accompanying tickets sent by post and available on request in participating Cancer Research UK shops. Please note that closing dates for Superdraw may vary per entry method.
- The winning entries will be selected using random number generator software which has been tested and approved by an independent test house approved by the Gambling Commission. Prizes will be awarded in order of selection (the first number drawn will be awarded the jackpot prize, the second number drawn will receive 2nd prize, and so on). Your chances of winning depend on the number of entries, which changes from draw to draw depending on how many entries there are, and on the number of prizes (500 per draw). Using average entry levels from 2019 as a guide, we estimate that each entry has a 1 in 186 chance of winning in a Weekly Lottery draw, and 1 in 314 per entry in a Superdraw.
- Cash prizes will be transferred directly into the winners’ bank accounts or paid by cheque (at our discretion). Prizes will be transferred, paid or delivered within 28 days of the draw or, where winning tickets were bought in a Cancer Research UK shop, then within 28 days of receipt by us of a valid claim in accordance with paragraph 16, subject at all times to paragraph 23.
How to play
- You can purchase subscription entries to the Lottery online at ww.cruk.org/lottery, on request to the Lottery Helpline, by post and via our kiosk-based fundraisers.
- You can purchase single entries:
- for all Lottery draws (including Superdraw), in selected participating Cancer Research UK shops;
- for Superdraw only, online at www.cruk.org/superdraw, on request to the Lottery Helpline and by post.
- The cost of each entry into the Lottery is £1. You may purchase more than one entry but the maximum number of entries is:
- ten x £1 per person per week for subscription entries purchased online, by post or by phone and for single entries purchased in shops;
- fifty x £1 per person per week for Superdraw tickets purchased online, by phone and by post.
- Payment to enter the Lottery must be made in advance via one of the payment methods at the point of purchase. Cash is only accepted for single entry purchases from participating Cancer Research UK shops. If you pay by monthly direct debit, then there is a one month minimum entry period and either £4 or £5 (or multiples of these amounts if you have more than one line of numbers) will be collected per month directly from your bank account, depending on the number of draws in between your payment dates (applicable to subscription entries only).
- We will notify you in writing of the date of your first draw. If you purchase a single entry in a shop you will be entered into the next available draw as shown on your ticket.
Tickets bought in shops
- Tickets bought in shops will be provided in the form of a till receipt at the point of purchase. It is your responsibility to check at point of purchase that the information on your ticket is readable, to request a replacement if it is not and to keep your ticket safe and in good condition. We cannot reissue the ticket once you have left the till.
- If you have purchased single entries in our shops, you are responsible for visiting www.cruk.org/winners or calling our Supporter Contact Team on 0300 123 1861 to check if you have won. To claim a prize you may:
- claim online using the web form available at cruk.org/winners
- call our Supporter Contact Team (lines open during business hours of 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday excluding bank holidays).
You must provide information from your ticket (your winning ticket number, the date of the draw and the transaction reference) and also your name, address, other contact details and date of birth. We will use this information to verify your eligibility to enter the Lottery and claim a prize, to contact you in connection with your participation in the lottery and to award any prize. Claims must be received within 90 days of the date of the draw.
- A list of the prizes won and either:
- the ticket number and home counties (or towns) of winners; or
- in the case of winning tickets bought in shops then the ticket numbers and shop locations,
will be published on www.cruk.org/winners and will also be available by post on request to the Lottery Helpline on 0300 123 3019. The winners list shall be for information purposes only and, subject to paragraph 23, prizes shall be awarded only to winning entries as recorded during the draw. Only entries for which full payment has been received will be eligible to win a prize.
- If you win a prize in the Lottery we may contact you (unless you have asked us not to) to ask if you would like to provide a photo of, and or comment about, yourself in relation to you being a winner of the Lottery to help us promote the Lottery.
Superdraw Prize terms
- The car prize, if any, may differ from that illustrated. Choice of colour is subject to availability. The insurance, maintenance and running costs of the car will be the responsibility of the winner from the time of collection or delivery of the car. The winner of a car prize has the option to choose to take £15,000 cash instead of the car.
- In order to claim the car prize the winner must produce a valid insurance certificate in the name of or naming the winner and any other documentation required by us. A car prize winner without a full driving licence authorising them to drive the car in the UK may, in our absolute discretion, nominate another person to collect or receive the car who must produce all documentation required by us, including a valid insurance certificate.
- Neither the car manufacturer nor distributor nor any other third parties are sponsors of this promotion. All prizes are provided by us.
- We will use your personal information for the purposes of administering the Lottery and as described in Cancer Research UK’s Privacy statement at http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/privacy-statement.
- We reserve the right to reject or cancel your entry, terminate your subscription and/or award any prize to an alternative winner if we have grounds to believe that you have breached any of these Terms and Conditions, acted fraudulently or illegally, if the information you have provided is incomplete or incorrect or on other reasonable grounds and we shall have no liability to you for any loss or damage you suffer arising from our use of such rights. We are not liable to return any amounts already paid save to any entrant found to be under 16 and any other refund we make will be solely in our discretion.
- a prize cannot be paid or delivered (as applicable) using the details provided to us; or
- any cheque payment from us remains uncashed;
within 90 days of the date of the draw for subscription entries or within 90 days of receipt by us of a valid claim for single entries bought in shops, this prize will be forfeited.
- We reserve the right to modify, cancel, terminate or suspend the Lottery in whole or in part in our sole discretion.
- Subject to paragraph 27, we shall not be liable for:
- Lottery entries, tickets or communications which are lost, stolen or delayed in the post, damaged or illegible, from which the prize winner or entrant cannot be identified or which have insufficient postage (proof of posting is not proof of receipt);
- any late bank payments;
- our failure or inability to contact you and/or award any prize due to any errors, omissions or inaccuracies in the contact or bank details you have provided or your failure to update these if they change;
- loss or damage incurred by you in connection with your participation in the Lottery or your use of any prize;
- any interruptions or errors on or to the Websites;
- technical hardware or software errors or failures or lost, faulty or unavailable network connections; or
- any failure or delay beyond our reasonable control.
- Nothing in these terms and conditions shall limit our liability for death or personal injury caused by its negligence, fraud or for any other matter for which liability may not be limited by law.
- We may amend these terms and conditions at any time. We will notify you of any significant changes to these Terms and Conditions via the Websites or by contacting you directly using the contact details you provided to us on registration (such method to be determined by us in our discretion).
- These terms and conditions are governed by English law and entrants submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
- Our decision in all matters relating to the Lottery is final. We operate a complaints and disputes procedure which is available on www.cruk.org/about-us/contact-us and by post on request to the Lottery Helpline on 0300 123 3019. In the event of a complaint or dispute relating to the Lottery that cannot be resolved to your satisfaction using the procedure referred to above, you can request that the matter be referred to the Independent Betting Adjudication Service (www.ibas-uk.co.uk), which provides Alternative Dispute Resolution services to help resolve such complaints.
- We are committed to operating the Lottery in a socially responsible way. If you or a family member feel that you are experiencing problems with gambling, you can seek advice and support from BeGambleAware via their website at www.begambleaware.org or from the National Gambling Helpline on 0808 8020 133. To see our Social Responsibility Policy, including information about self-exclusion, please visit either of the Websites or to request a copy be sent by post call the Lottery Helpline.
- If you have any queries about the Weekly Lottery and Superdraw please contact the Lottery Helpline on 0300 123 3019 or write to Cancer Research UK Weekly Lottery, Furness Gate, Peter Green Way, Furness Business Park, Barrow-in-Furness, LA14 2PE.
Last updated: 29th July 2020