All cancers combined is the most common cause of death in the UK, accounting for more than a quarter (28%) all deaths (2016).[1-6]
In males in the UK, all cancers combined is the most common cause of death in the UK as a whole (30% of all male deaths), and in the UK countries separately (30% in England and Wales, 30% in Scotland, 31% in Northern Ireland). In females in the UK all cancers combined is the most common cause of death in the UK as a whole (26% of all female deaths), and in the UK countries separately (26% in England and Wales 26% in Scotland, 27% in Northern Ireland).
53% of deaths for all cancers combined in the UK are in males, and 47% are in females. This reflects the sex differences in cancer incidence (higher in men than women) and survival (higher in women than men).
All cancers combined mortality rates (European age-standardised
All Cancers Combined (C00-C97), Number of Deaths, Crude and European Age-Standardised (AS) Mortality Rates per 100,000 Population, UK, 2016
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||324.8||370.2||331.1||333.4||330.5|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||329.6||386.4||350.4||361.7||334.9|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||226.2||258.3||226.9||235.2||230.3|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||229.7||270.2||241.2||256.1||233.5|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||267.9||306.5||273.5||278.0||272.5|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||270.8||316.1||285.1||294.8||275.2|
For all cancers combined, mortality differences between countries reflect something other than differences in incidence.
- Office for National Statistics. Deaths registered in England and Wales: 2016. Available from https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregistrationsummarytables/2016. Accessed February 2018.
- National Records of Scotland. 2016 Births, Deaths and Other Vital Events - Preliminary Annual Figures. Available from http://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/statistics-and-data/statistics/statistics-by-theme/vital-events/general-publications/births-deaths-and-other-vital-events-preliminary-annual-figures/2016. Accessed February 2018.
- Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency. Registrar General Northern Ireland Annual Report 2016. NISRA; Available from https://www.nisra.gov.uk/statistics/births-deaths-and-marriages/registrar-general-annual-report. Accessed February 2018.
- Data were provided by the Office for National Statistics on request, October 2017. Similar data can be found here: http://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths.
- Data were provided by ISD Scotland on request, October 2017. Similar data can be found here: http://www.isdscotland.org/Health-Topics/Cancer/Publications/index.asp.
- Data were provided by the Northern Ireland Cancer Registry on request, December 2017. Similar data can be found here: http://www.qub.ac.uk/research-centres/nicr/.
About this data
Data is for UK, 2016, All causes mortality, ICD-10 A00-R99 - U00-Y89. All cancers combined mortality ICD-10 C00-C97.