All cancers combined is the most common cause of death in the UK, accounting for more than a quarter (28%) all deaths (2017).[1-6]
In females in the UK all cancers combined is the most common cause of death in the UK as a whole (25% of all female deaths), and in the UK countries separately (25% in England and Wales, 26% in Scotland, 26% in Northern Ireland). In males in the UK, all cancers combined is the most common cause of death in the UK as a whole (30% of all male deaths), and in the UK countries separately (30% in England and Wales, 30% in Scotland, 30% in Northern Ireland).
47% of deaths for all cancers combined in the UK are in females, and 53% are in males. This reflects the sex differences in cancer incidence (higher in men than women) and survival (higher in women than men).
All cancers combined mortality rates (European age-standardised
All Cancers Combined (C00-C97), Number of Deaths, Crude and European Age-Standardised (AS) Mortality Rates per 100,000 Population, UK, 2017
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||220.7||261.7||231.5||223.0||225.8|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||224.1||273.6||245.8||243.1||229.0|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||319.9||369.9||323.4||325.0||325.6|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||324.6||386.0||342.3||352.6||329.9|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||263.0||307.5||272.5||268.8||268.2|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||265.8||317.2||284.0||285.2||270.8|
- Office for National Statistics. Deaths registered in England and Wales: 2017. Available from https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregistrationsummarytables/2017 (link is external). Accessed June 2019.
- National Records of Scotland. Vital Events Reference Tables 2017. Available from https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/statistics-and-data/statistics/statistics-by-theme/vital-events/general-publications/vital-events-reference-tables/2017 (link is external). Accessed June 2019.
- Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency. Registrar General Northern Ireland Annual Report 2017. NISRA; Available from https://www.nisra.gov.uk/publications/registrar-general-annual-report-2016-cause-of-death (link is external) Accessed June 2019.
- Data were provided by the Office for National Statistics on request, November 2018. Similar data can be found here: http://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths.
- Data were provided by ISD Scotland on request, October 2018. Similar data can be found here: http://www.isdscotland.org/Health-Topics/Cancer/Publications/index.asp.
- Data were provided by the Northern Ireland Cancer Registry on request, March 2019. Similar data can be found here: http://www.qub.ac.uk/research-centres/nicr/.
About this data
Data is for UK, 2017, All causes mortality, ICD-10 A00-R99 and U00-Y89. All cancers combined mortality ICD-10 C00-C97.