Around 1 in 5 people diagnosed with cancer in the UK take part in a clinical trial.
A trial looking at carfilzomib for myeloma (MUK 5)
This trial looked at combining carfilzomib with cyclophosphamide and dexamethasone to treat myeloma.
It was open to people with myeloma that continued to grow during treatment or came back after treatment.
More about this trial
- which worked best for myeloma that had come back after treatment or continued to grow while having treatment
- if having carfilzomib after KCD stopped the myeloma coming back
Summary of results
- 201 people had the combination treatment carfilzomib, cyclophosphamide and dexamethasone (KCD)
- 99 people had the combination treatment cyclophosphamide, bortezomib and dexamethasone (CVD)
- just over 40 out of every 100 people (40.2%) in the KCD group
- just under 32 out of every 100 people (31.9%) in the CVD group
- 84 out of every 100 people (84%) in the KCD group
- just over 68 out of every 100 people (68.1%) in the CVD group
- just under a year (11.9) for those who had KCD
- just over 10 months (10.2) for those who had CVD
- 69 people continued with carfilzomib
- 72 people didn’t continue with carfilzomib
- just under a year (11.9 months) for those who continued with carfilzomib
- just over 5½ months for those who didn’t continue with carfilzomib
The trial team concluded that continuing with carfilzomib increased the length of time people lived and had no sign of their myeloma after their initial treatment.
We have based this summary on information from the research team. The information they sent us has been reviewed by independent specialists (peer reviewed) but may not have been published in a medical journal. The figures we quote above were provided by the research team. We have not analysed the data ourselves.
How to join a clinical trial
Dr Kwee Yong
Leeds Institute of Clinical Trials Research (University of Leeds)
Onyx Pharmaceuticals, a subsidiary of Amgen Inc
Institute of Cancer Research (ICR)
Haematological Malignancies Diagnostic Service (HMDS)
Experimental Cancer Medicine Centre (ECMC)
NIHR Clinical Research Network: Cancer
UK Myeloma Research Alliance