Scientific Executive Board
The Scientific Executive Board (SEB) is responsible for the implementation of science policy and strategy after its approval by the Research Strategy Committee and Council. It works closely with the Research Strategy Committee and reports to the Executive Board.
SEB meets once every two months and is chaired by the Chief Executive.
Our Chief Scientist, Professor Karen Vousden, and Chief Clinician, Professor Charles Swanton, are also members along with our Executive Directors.
Scientific experts are also invited in to help inform discussion on particular topics.
The SEB interacts closely with the Research Strategy Committee (RSC).
Members of the board
- Nigel Armitt, Chief Finance Officer and Executive Director, Corporate Resources
- Dr Iain Foulkes, Executive Director, Research & Innovation
- tbc;Chief Executive
- Professor Charles Swanton, Chief Clinician
- Professor Karen Vousden, Chief Scientist
The Scientific Executive Board holds overall responsibility for Cancer Research UK's research funding, and has oversight of the funding committees who award grants for investigator-led research.
The board can also consider approaches for funding that do not fall within the scope of our existing funding committees and schemes. For example, this may be because:
- The cost exceeds the limits available to a committee
- The scope spans the remit of multiple funding committees
- An initiative involves a consortium-based approach
- There is a need to recruit international leadership in key research areas
It is rare for us to fund activity this way as most activity should be covered via our funding schemes, but approaches via this route are considered on an individual basis. In the first Instance it is recommended that you discuss ideas with Iain Foulkes, Karen Vousden or Charles Swanton.
Get in touch
If you require further information or have any comments please get in touch.
After five years as CRUK’s Chief Scientist, Professor Nic Jones stepped down in February 2016.