How much we spend on research
Research activity breakdown
Our Accounts show that, in 2018/19, we committed £546m to cancer research, including projects that will run for many years. In the year itself, we spent £442m on ongoing research activity, including projects started in previous years.
As the graphic shows, this includes:
- £188m on research into specific cancers.
- £85m on research into cancer’s fundamental biology.
- £79m on research relevant to all cancers, including our network of centres and clinical trials units.
- £50m passed on to other organisations, as their share of the royalties we received from sales of innovations developed from previous research.
- £40m on research administration and support, including the systems and processes that allow us to fund world-class research.
In previous years, we’ve allocated the revenue share, support and ‘relevant to all cancer’ spends proportionately across the other categories. See p16/17 of our Annual Report & Accounts for more details.
Find out more about what we’ve funded this year, and how we’re making a difference.