Cycle 300 Terms and Conditions
Fundraising Challenge Rules
1.1 These rules (“Rules”) apply to fundraising challenges promoted by Cancer Research UK, for example Walk All Over Cancer, Cycle 300 and monthly challenges promoted via Facebook (each a “Challenge”). The Rules do not apply to events organised by Cancer Research UK, for which there will be separate terms and conditions.
1.2 By signing up to take part in a Challenge, you agree to comply with these Rules.
1.3 Please check this page from time to time, as we may occasionally amend these Rules and any changes will be binding on those taking part in Challenges.
2. About us
2.1 Cancer Research UK is a registered charity in England and Wales (1089464), Scotland (SC041666), the Isle of Man (1103) and Jersey (247) (“CRUK” / “We”).
2.2 Information about CRUK and the Challenges can be found at www.cancerresearchuk.org (“our website”) and/or online groups set up by CRUK in connection with your Challenge which you may be invited to join (“Forums”). Forums may be hosted on third-party platforms, such as Facebook, and are moderated by CRUK.
2.3 If you have any questions or complaints about a Challenge, please contact 0300 123 1022* and a member of our team will be happy to help you. Please see here for further details of our opening hours.
3. Signing up
3.1 Challenges are open to UK residents only. If you choose to sign up as a non-UK resident, CRUK will only be able to provide you with a limited amount of support.
3.2 Any age restrictions will be clearly set out within the description of each Challenge on our website and/or Forums. Where an age restriction applies, you must be the specified age or above on the day you sign up to take part in a Challenge. Where no age restrictions apply, if you are under 18 and choose to participate, you confirm that your parent/guardian has agreed: to your participation; to supervise your Challenge; and to accept responsibility for complying with these Rules (including setting up an online fundraising page and/or joining a Forum (as applicable) on your behalf).
3.3 You will need to sign up for a Challenge by following the instructions on our website and/or Forums.
3.4 No registration fee is payable in respect of Challenges.
4. Information and other support from CRUK
4.1 Challenges are designed so that you can complete them in your own time and in your own way. We provide information about each Challenge on our website and/or Forums and may provide fundraising materials for you to download. Copyright in all materials we provide is owned by (or licensed to) CRUK.
4.2 We may also provide tips on our website and/or Forums on how to stay safe whilst completing a Challenge. Please read these carefully and ensure you comply with them.
5. Social media
5.1 Access to Forums will be subject to: (i) any rules stipulated on the joining page of the respective Forum (“Forum Rules”) and (ii) the terms and conditions of the respective third-party platform on which the Forum is hosted (“Platform Ts and Cs”).
5.2 By posting any content (e.g. photos and videos) on a Forum:
- you confirm that you own the copyright in the content and, if applicable, have all necessary rights and consents to include the person(s) featured in the content;
- you give CRUK a non-exclusive, transferable, royalty-free worldwide right to use and reproduce that content;
- you, on behalf of yourself and any copyright owner, waive your and their moral rights in that content in favour of CRUK.
5.3 CRUK may remove any content posted by you or access by you to a Forum if you do not comply with these Rules, the Forum Rules or the Platform Ts and Cs.
6. Free items, competitions and prizes
6.1 We may give you the opportunity to order a free item to use or wear as part of a Challenge. These items are subject to availability and may be withdrawn by CRUK at any time.
6.2 We may occasionally run competitions and/or offer prizes as part of a Challenge. Please check the respective competition/prize terms for full details.
7. Sponsorship Money and Donations
7.1 Any monies raised in connection with a Challenge are held on trust for CRUK. All participants have a legal responsibility to ensure that all sponsorship monies/donations received in connection with a Challenge are paid to CRUK and we ask that you do this as soon as possible after your Challenge finishes. Money pledged via online fundraising pages (e.g. CRUK fundraising pages, third party platforms) is collected automatically. Other ways to pay in sponsorship monies/donations are as follows:
- Call the relevant telephone number given at the top of these Rules and provide credit or debit card details to make a payment over the phone.
- Send cheques made payable to "Cancer Research UK" to: Cancer Research UK, PO Box 1561, Oxford, OX4 9GZ. State the Challenge you have participated in on the reverse.
7.2 Please ensure that all donation and/or sponsorship forms are filled out in full and are returned to us to enable Gift Aid to be claimed where possible.
8. Use of your information
8.1 By providing your information when you sign up for a Challenge, we will use this information for the purposes of administering the Challenge, and CRUK may also contact you to discuss your fundraising activity and follow up on your progress.
8.2 If you provide personal information on behalf of additional Challenge participants, please only provide this if they have confirmed that they are happy for you to do so as we will use this information for the same purposes.
8.3 Your personal information may also be used for the purposes of sending communications to you where you have confirmed that you would like to receive further information about CRUK’s work when registering for a Challenge.
9.1 You enter Challenges entirely at your own risk. CRUK shall not be liable for any injury, damage or loss to you or your property that might occur as a result of your participation in a Challenge, other than in respect of any injury or loss arising as a result of our negligence. For the avoidance of doubt, nothing in this clause shall exclude or limit CRUK’s liability for any liability that cannot be excluded or limited by law.
9.2. You must ensure that you have obtained consent from the owner of any privately owned land or premises at which you choose to carry out your Challenge.
* Please note that calls to our hotline may be monitored or recorded to allow us to maintain our standards of customer service.
Updated April 2022
Cancer Research UK Giving Pages Terms and Conditions
This Online Fundraising platform (“the Platform”) is owned and provided by Cancer Research UK (“we”, “our” or “CRUK”) and allows users to raise funds for, and to give donations to, CRUK. It cannot be used in connection with any other charity, or for any other charitable cause or purpose.
The use of the Platform is subject to the rules below, as well as our general Terms and Conditions that govern the use of any part of the CRUK website (together the “Platform Terms”). In the event of any conflict between them, the rules below shall take precedence.
The Platform Terms may be amended from time to time, so you should check them regularly for any changes.
Use of Donations
1. When setting up a fundraising page, users may be given the option of:
- choosing whether the money raised is to be put towards a certain type of cancer research. If this option is selected, this will be made clear to anyone visiting that page, and all funds subsequently raised will only be used for that specified purpose. Where no such option is available or selected, we will decide how best we can use the funds for our general charitable purposes; and
- setting a fundraising “target”, which will be visible to anyone visiting that page. Please note, however, that once we have processed and confirmed receipt of a donation this money will be treated as cleared funds in CRUK’s account, whether the target is ultimately achieved or not.
2. Please note that charities (including CRUK) are only legally permitted to return donations in very limited circumstances e.g. where the donor lacks mental capacity. We therefore ask that you take care when entering your details when making a donation using the Platform, as we may be unable to provide any refund once your payment has been processed. We do not charge a fee for processing refunds.
- If you are a UK taxpayer you are encouraged to claim Gift Aid when donating your own money to your fundraising page by completing the Gift Aid declaration which is available online.
- If you pay in money to your fundraising page other than money you are donating to CRUK personally (e.g. cash from collections, family members, ticket sales and any activity where you get something in return for your money) you cannot claim Gift Aid.
- Gift Aid can be claimed on individual donations that are made to CRUK offline. To claim Gift Aid each individual making a donation must complete a Gift Aid declaration confirming that they are a UK taxpayer and provide his or her name and address including post code.
Use of Fundraising Pages
- If you are creating a fundraising page and would like to upload photos to it, please ensure that you are either the owner of the copyright in the photo, or you have the permission of the person who is. Similarly, if the image and/or text you would like to post features the name and/or likeness of any living person, especially where he/she has been diagnosed with a medical condition (including cancer), you must get his/her consent before you do this. If the image and/or text you would like to post features the name and/or likeness of any person who has died, please get consent from a member of their family before you do this.
- We welcome and encourage users to customise messages on fundraising pages, and to leave comments when making donations. However, racist, sexist, obscene, defamatory, misleading or otherwise offensive or upsetting language and/or content is not permitted.
- The following uses of the Platform are also prohibited:
- posting or uploading any content or material that infringes someone else’s intellectual property or other legal rights, unless you have obtained the owner or relevant person’s consent first;
- running any form of prize draw, competition or lottery, or offering any form of incentive to encourage people to donate through their fundraising page;
- carrying out or encouraging any illegal or unlawful acts; and
- sending junk or “spam” communications, or any other form of messaging or content for promotional or commercial purposes.
- CRUK is not responsible for the contents of any fundraising page on the Platform, nor do we necessarily endorse the fundraising activities referred to on any page. Whilst we do not actively monitor the Platform, if and when we become aware that a user has breached any of the terms of this section above, we reserve the right to edit or remove the offending message(s) and/or content, or to close the relevant page, without further notice at our sole discretion. Please note that donations will not be refunded in these circumstances.
- Fundraising pages will remain open, and donations can be made through them, unless and until they are deleted by the page owner.
In addition to the remaining Platform Terms the following terms apply where you link your CRUK fundraising page with a Facebook fundraiser (“FB Fundraiser”).
- Use of a FB Fundraiser is at your own risk and CRUK will not be liable for any costs or losses you incur through your use of a FB Fundraiser.
- Requests for refunds for donations, which are made on Facebook to a FB Fundraiser must be made through the Facebook refund process.
- While CRUK provide you with a link to set up a FB Fundraiser, this does not constitute an endorsement of Facebook. CRUK has no control over, is not responsible for, and does not guarantee, Facebook’s website or resources including but not limited to whether the website is error free, accurate, free from viruses or it being error-free or free from offensive material and you use them at your own risk.
- You acknowledge and agree that such FB Fundraisers are publicly available and any information provided by CRUK, as set out below in point 6, on your behalf is non-confidential and non-proprietary in nature and that you grant all necessary licences and permissions to CRUK to share, and receive, the information.
- By linking your CRUK fundraising page with your FB Fundraiser you agree that CRUK may share the following data from your CRUK fundraising page with Facebook:
- Page name*;
- Main image*;
- Target**; and
- Donation amounts**.
- By linking your CRUK fundraising page with your FB Fundraiser you agree that CRUK will receive the following information from Facebook:
- Value of donations made on your FB Fundraiser (the identity of the donor will not be shared).
- CRUK reserves the right at any time, and without prior notice, to unlink your FB Fundraiser at its entire discretion. If CRUK unlinks your FB Fundraiser but your CRUK fundraising page remains active then all amounts raised up and until the date of the unlinking will continue to be displayed on your CRUK fundraising page but no further donations to your FB Fundraiser will be automatically added.
*CRUK will only share this information with Facebook once when the FB Fundraiser is created.If you edit this information on your CRUK fundraising page after this date you will have to update you FB Fundraiser page separately.
**CRUK will share this information with Facebook on an on-going basis. Facebook will be given the total donations raised on your CRUK fundraising page but not the identity of individual donors.
- As access to all open fundraising pages on the Platform is unrestricted, and can therefore be seen by anyone, we advise users to avoid posting personal information about themselves or someone else (e.g. addresses, telephone numbers) when writing on a fundraising page.
- We will also use your personal details for the purposes of sending you communications about our latest breakthroughs, campaigns and how you can help support our life-saving work where you have given your permission for us to do this when setting up a fundraising page and/or making a donation.
- Whilst we make every effort to ensure that the Platform is available at all times, circumstances outside of our control mean that we cannot guarantee that this will always be the case. Similarly, there may be occasions when we have to carry out maintenance or other work on the Platform which may affect its functionality, or we may have to suspend the Platform altogether, but we shall try and keep this to a minimum.
- In the event that any user breaches the Platform Terms, we reserve the right to close their fundraising page (if applicable) and to prevent them from using the Platform in future. Please note that any donations received will not be refunded in these circumstances.
- The payment service providers we use in relation to this platform are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority or other relevant EEA home state regulator.
- If you have any queries about the use of this Platform, wish to report any content or material that you believe is in breach of the Platform Terms, or to request a refund please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Updated 05 July 2019
Prize Terms and Conditions
By registering for the Cycle 300 fundraising challenge at www.cancerresearchuk.org/get-involved/find-an-event/charity-challenges/cycle300 (the “Challenge”), you agree to be bound by these terms and conditions governing the award of the prize to the top ten fundraisers (“The Competition”). The promoter of The Competition is Cancer Research UK, 2 Redman Place, London E20 1JQ (the “Promoter”).
1. The Competition is open to UK residents aged 18 or over who fulfil the criteria below, except employees of the Promoter and its subsidiary companies, together with their immediate family members and/or personal partners.
2. To be eligible for The Competition, entrants must have:
(a) registered for the Challenge; and
(b) not opted out of marketing communications.
3. The Promoter reserves the right to request evidence of eligibility, including the identity and age of any entrant.
4. Please email email@example.com by 23.59 on 31 July 2022 if you do not wish to be entered into The Competition.
5. Unless you opt out, you will automatically be entered into The Competition when you register for the Challenge provided you meet the eligibility criteria above.
6. You must ensure that all fundraising monies and donations you collect are deposited into your Cancer Research UK Giving Page established as part of the registration process by 23.59 on 31 July 2022 (the “Closing Date”).
7. The funds deposited into your online Cancer Research UK Giving Page by the Closing Date will make up your fundraising total (the “Fundraising Total”).
8. For the avoidance of doubt, any fundraising monies or donations deposited after the Closing Date will not be counted towards your Fundraising Total.
9. The Promoter does not accept responsibility for incorrect or incomplete personal details provided at registration by a participant or for any damage or loss resulting from entry into the Competition. The Promoter shall also not be liable for issues of any kind which may prevent, restrict or delay the depositing of funds raised in association with the Challenge, including (but not limited to) technical faults such as network, computer, hardware or software failures.
10. The Promoter reserves the right to disqualify you if your conduct is contrary to the spirit or intention of the Cycle 300 fundraising challenge.
11. One pair of HindSight cycling glasses (https://hindsight.store/) will be awarded to each of the ten winners as selected in accordance with clause 17 (the “Prize”).
12. The Prize is provided by HindSight. The provision of the Prize does not imply endorsement by the Promoter of HindSight and any complaints about the Prize should be directed to HindSight (at HS Vision Ltd, 4 Gilmerton Dykes Avenue, Edinburgh, EH17 8ND).
13. Each winner is personally responsible for any personal or incidental expenses and any VAT, national and/or local tax liabilities incurred in claiming or using the Prize.
14. The Prize is non-transferable, non-refundable and non-negotiable. In the event of circumstances beyond the Promoter’s control, the Promoter reserves the right to substitute the Prize for similar prizes of equal or greater value or, at its sole discretion, the cash value of the Prize.
15. By participating, entrants agree that the Prize is awarded on an “as is” basis and that the Promoter makes no representations or gives no warranties of any nature in relation to the Prize.
16. Insofar as permitted by law, the Promoter will not in any circumstances be responsible or liable to compensate the winners or accept any liability for loss, damage, personal injury or death occurring as a result of using and/or taking up (or failing to use and/or take up) the Prize except where it is caused by the negligence of the Promoter or its employees.
17. The Promoter will review the Cancer Research UK Giving Pages of all individuals participating in the Challenge and the ten individuals with the highest Fundraising Totals on the Closing Date will win The Competition.
18. The winners will be notified within 5 days of the Closing Date via the details provided as part of the registration process for the Challenge. The Promoter will request a delivery address for the Prize from each winner. The Promoter will arrange for the delivery of the Prize to each winner within 30 days of the Closing Date. If the Promoter anticipates that there will be a delay in the delivery of the Prize, it will inform winners and provide information about the revised delivery date.
19. If a winner cannot be contacted or fails to respond to communications within 5 days of notification, the Prize will be forfeited and the Promoter reserves the right to award the Prize to the participant with the next highest Fundraising Total. The Promoter’s decision will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
20.The Promoter reserves the right to disqualify a winner if it reasonably believes there has been a breach of these Terms and Conditions, or a winner’s conduct is contrary to these Terms and Conditions. In these circumstances the Promoter reserves the right to require the return of any prize awarded (if applicable) and will reallocate it to the participant with the next highest Fundraising Total who has not already been awarded a Prize.
21. The Promoter reserves the right to (i) cancel or suspend The Competition; (ii) cancel or refuse any entry and (iii) amend these Terms and Conditions (and will use reasonable endeavours to notify changes to participants).
22. Any personal data received from entrants will only be used and/or shared with third parties where necessary for the proper purposes of The Competition and in accordance with the Promoter’s Privacy Statement at http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/terms-and-conditions/privacy-statement.
23. The winners acknowledge that the Promoter may request their consent to participate in promotional activity and material relating to The Competition. However, for the avoidance of doubt entry into The Competition or the award of the Prize is not conditional upon consent being given.
25. These Terms and Conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with English law and entrants agree to irrevocably submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts in respect of any dispute arising out of or in connection with them.
26. If you have any queries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Updated 31 March 2022