Virtual and physical event planning
Resources to help you prepare for your Relay
Welcome to your one-stop-shop for everything relating to:
- Virtual engagement of Relay Teams
- Planning and running a virtual event
- Planning and running a COVID-safe physical event
After you have digested these materials, get in touch with your Relationship Manager if you have any questions.
1. Planning and running a COVID-safe physical event
This section contains guidance documents on planning and running a COVID-safe physical Relay event. The guidance will be updated as government guidelines change. Any changes will be communicated to Relationship Managers so they can let you know when to revisit this page.
Here we've also included messaging on the impact of COVID-19 that you can use when speaking to your supporters, as well as GIFs (specific to nation) that you can share on social media to help build confidence that your event will be safe to attend.
In this section you'll find:
- Guidance on how to run a COVID safe and cost efficient physical event
- Government guidance updates by nation
- Key messages - updated wording about the impact of COVID-19 on our fundraising and research
- GIF promoting how we are making our events safe that you can post on social media
- Designs for COVID-related signs that will be sent to committees
2. Virtual Engagement
This section contains useful training videos and documents that will help you to engage your committee, team captains and Relayers in the build up to Relay in 2021.
Here we’ll look at ideas to re-engage your teams, cover the basics of virtual meeting technology, and look at how to use it to maximum effect.
You’ll also find some amazing videos starring volunteers and scientists which you can use in your meetings to inspire your supporters, and a teams night pack full of resources and tips.
Here’s what’s in store:
- Having engaging meetings – overview and demonstration videos
- Engaging with committees and teams videos – Liam Craddock and Dan Oliver, Yate and Stockport Relays
- Controlling Virtual Meetings – Back to Basics pack, to help you get to grips with the basics of Teams and similar platforms
- Before, During, After Meetings and Practise Checklist, to help you practise and plan meetings
- Teams Night Pack, Video resources and science activities, to give you the tools you need to have amazing Teams Nights.
3. Planning and running a virtual event
This section contains guidance documents and videos that will help you to plan your virtual Relay event.
Here we'll look at the pros and cons of using different live streaming platforms, cover the basics of running a virtual event and filming content, and spark ideas for fundraiisng in the lead up to the event that you can do in person or virtually. You'll also find lots of video messages that you can include in your event.
Here's what's in store:
- Planning a virtual event - our guidance document and tips from fellow Relay committees
- Technology - summaries of different streaming platforms and tips when filming content for your event
- Content for your event - lots of thank you messages from staff at CRUK, the American Cancer Society and our Global Heroes of Hope
- Fundraising ideas - lots of tips and suggestions for ways to raise life-saving funds