How to raise money for the Virgin Money London Marathon
Hit your target
A Justgiving page is a great way to help us hit our £2 million fundraising target. It takes just 10 minutes to get started.
Help us achieve our biggest ever target with our top fundraising tips.
Last year, our Virgin Money London Marathon team raised almost £1 million. In 2015 we want to more than double that.
Whether you’ve got a charity place or you’re running for Cancer Research UK through the ballot, every penny you raise will make a huge difference.
Download our Fundraising tools
Useful tools to get those donations rolling in:
Show off your your motivation for running or your training status, by downloading and sharing our facebook badges all over your Facebook and Twitter accounts.
Raising money online and through social media
Fundraising platforms online like Virgin Money Giving make it quick and easy to raise money. Here are some tips to get the most out of your page:
- The sooner you start, the sooner you’ll hit your target
- Plug your page on Facebook or Twitter regularly to keep it on your friends’ newsfeeds
- Blog about your training progress to keep you motivated and keep your supporters in the loop
- Raise your target, if you’re getting close, to encourage you to go further
How to boost your sponsorship
Some tried and tested tips to help you get more from your sponsorship:
- Don’t be afraid to ask – most people will be really impressed you’re taking on 26.2 miles so they won’t be shy in sponsoring you
- Run in fancy dress – plenty of people have run the marathon in costume and they often find their supporters will give more if they do
- Share your sponsorship form on pay day – you’ll find people are often more willing to donate if they’ve just been paid
- Cast a wide net – don’t stick to just friends and family but think of other people who’ll sponsor you like your local church, a grant organisation, family friends or your hairdresser
- Break it down – split your target into manageable chunks, like £200. In 10 steps you’ll have raised £2,000
What you can do to raise money
It’s not all about sponsorship – there are loads of other things you can do to raise money to help us hit our biggest ever target. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Change your email signature to say you’re running the Virgin Money London Marathon and include a link to your fundraising page
- Host an event like a dinner party or quiz night and invite friends and family in return for a donation
- Offer a service like car cleaning, picking up someone’s dry cleaning or shopping in return for a donation
Our strategy to beat cancer sooner
Our vision is to bring forward the day when all cancers are cured. Our new strategy will give us the foundations we need to tackle the challenges ahead.
My bake sales raised over £1,000!
“It takes 3 days to bring in all the cakes for my bake sales, but it’s worth it. They’re always popular and raise lots of money!”- Debs, 2015 London Marathon runner