Big Hike Brecon Beacons 2021
About the hike
Hike the marathon distance Big Hike through the Brecon Beacons and take big steps towards beating cancer.
Whether you're a first-timer or an experienced hiker, going solo or part of a group, explore the great outdoors in this one-day hiking marathon challenge.
Hike 24.9 miles along the canal towpath, across the River Usk, and into the mountains, taking in the spectacular views across Brecon and the Beacons range – all while raising money for lifesaving research.
The Big Hike experience
As a Big Hike participant you'll receive:
- A participant pack with everything you need ahead of the hike
- A free Cancer Research UK t-shirt
- Fundraising tips and support to help you reach your target
- Expert training plan to help you prepare
- Regular refuelling points with snacks and drinks along the route
- Lunch during the hike and dinner at the finish
- First Aid assistance
- Big Hike finisher's medal
Your entry fee
To sign up you will need to pay an entry fee of just £25.
You will receive a participant pack a week before your event which includes your Cancer Research UK t-shirt. And on the day everyone will receive a Big Hike finishing medal.
Did you know that paying your entry fee helps us cover the cost of putting on your event?
But it doesn't stop there. The money raised by you is what helps us save lives.
Your fundraising target
We suggest that you set a target of at least £300 towards our life-saving research. That’s just £12 per mile of your challenge.
By reaching the £300 Big Hike fundraising target, you can help us reach our goal of 3 in 4 people surviving cancer by 2034.
We're with you every step of the way
Once you've signed up to the Big Hike challenge, we'll send you everything you need to help reach your fundraising target. You will also then receive your Big Hike pack in the post one week prior to your Big Hike. We'll be with you for every step of the way.
You'll receive by email:
- A fundraising pack
- Training plan
- Sponsor a mile form
- A route map
Your Big Hike event pack will include:
- Letter with checklist for what you will need on the day
- Motivational back sign
- Your personal hiking number
- Cancer Research UK T-shirt
Important information to make your day run smoothly
The start/finish venue is Brecon County Showground LD3 7PL
Car: Free car parking is available to all Big Hike participants.
Bus: Brecon Bus Interchange is located in the town centre, approximately 16 minutes’ walk from the start venue.
Train: There is no train station in Brecon.
- There is a start window of 7:00am – 8:00am, please arrive 30 minutes prior to your intended start time.
- On arrival you will be handed your Big Hike map to follow.
- There will be free car parking available to Big Hike participants so look out for our branded signs as you get closer to the event site.
- There won’t be any lockers so pack light but remember your water. Bring your back sign and hiking number and don’t forget to add your emergency details.
- Weather conditions can change throughout the day. Stay sun safe using sunscreen with at least SPF15 and a 4 or more star rating.
- Toilets, water stations and first aid will be available along the route at the venue and support points.
- Hand sanitiser will also be provided at your event, which we encourage you to use before and after your walk.
- You will receive lunch at the second support point, followed by a hot meal at the finish.
- As always at our events the health and safety of our participants, staff and volunteers is our top priority. If you have any symptoms of COVID-19 or have been in close contact with someone that has symptoms please do not attend your event. Check your symptoms at www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/ symptoms/
- Read our FAQs for more information about Big Hike 2021.