Everything you need to know about fundraising safely

The legal bits

The information on this page is specifically intended to provide general guidance only, and to that scope the information provided is accurate.  

Cancer Research UK cannot accept responsibility for accidents, injuries, loss, or damages as a result of your event.  

Any fundraising materials you use should say: In aid of Cancer Research UK, Registered Charity Nos (1089464), (SC041666), (1103), (247)  

Plan ahead

Planning ahead will help you put on a safe, legal, and successful fundraising event.

If you're organising a mass participation event, you'll need to follow Government guidance and any social distancing guidelines for your area. It's also useful to liaise with your local safety advisory group within your local authority or council. 

Make your event safe

You’ll need to complete a risk assessment for your event. A risk assessment will help ensure that you’ve thought of any potential hazards and have put measures in place to minimise any risk.  

You’ll also need to ensure that suppliers of any goods or services are a reputable company with their own risk assessment. 

Get covered

You may decide to take out public liability insurance for your fundraising event. This will protect you if a member of the public is injured during your event. 

You should request to see the public liability insurance certificate of any suppliers you hire. This will ensure that they're covered in the event of an accident or incident with their equipment or service. 

Food and drink

Cake stand at event

The Food Standards Agency provides guidelines for preparing, handling, and cooking food. If you're using a caterer, you'll need to ensure they have a Food Hygiene Certificate and public liability insurance.  

If you intend to serve alcohol, you'll need to obtain a license from your local council. 

First aid

Some events require you to have a first aider or first aid services present for potential emergencies.  

You should consider: 

the number of people 

type of event and risk involved 

type of people, including their ages 

location and type of venue 

how long the event lasts 

the weather 

proximity to local medical facilities 

what experience you have of similar events 

any welfare and first aid facilities are at the venue. 

Participants are responsible for ensuring that they're fit and well to take part.  

Children and vulnerable adults 

Children and vulnerable adults need to be considered as part of your risk assessment when employing suppliers for goods or services. 

You'll need to make sure that children are properly looked after during the event and have permission to participate from a parent and/or guardian.  

Adequate checks should be carried out on any adults employed to help as part of your event if children and vulnerable adults will be present. The Government’s Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) provides further information on how to do this.  

Many professional services follow a Code of Practice to ensure services are provided safely. The Face Painters Association provides useful information which can be used to validate face painters. The Health and Safety Executive and the Amusement Device Inspection Procedures Scheme (ADIPS) offer advice on what you need to know to hire and use bouncy castles. 


Collecting and handling money

Black man and white woman collecting money in buckets on street

If you're collecting and handling money as part of your event, you may need a license.

Door to door collections and collecting money in a public place or street require you to obtain a license. Licenses may be obtained from your local authority or council. They'll also provide you with any rules and guidance for your collection. 

If you intend to collect money on private properties, you must get permission from the land owner. 

You may be interested in...