What to ask your doctor about testing for cancer genes
Here are some questions you might like to ask your doctor or genetic counsellor about testing for cancer genes:
- how do you do the test?
- will I have counselling?
- can you help me talk to my family?
- when will I get the results of the test?
- if you don’t find a faulty gene what does it mean?
- what happens if you find a faulty gene?
- what is my risk of developing cancer?
- can I have screening?
- what does screening involve?
- how often will I be screened?
- how much will preventative treatment reduce my risk of developing cancer?
- what preventative treatment is available?
- what does the treatment involve?
- what are the immediate and long term side effects of treatment?
- when should I have treatment?
- will the treatment affect my fertility?
- can I time any treatment so that I can have a family?
- are there any support groups available?
You could print them out and add any other questions that you might have.