Testicular cancer is the 16th most common cancer among men in the UK (2012), accounting for 1% of all new cases of cancer in males.[1-4]
In 2012, there were 2,268 new cases of testicular cancer in the UK.[1-4] The
Testicular Cancer (C62), Number of New Cases, Crude and European Age-Standardised (AS) Incidence Rates per 100,000 Population, Males, UK, 2012
There was considerable variation in testicular cancer incidence rates across the UK in the 1990s, with the highest rates in Scotland and southern England, and the lowest rates in London, Ireland, and parts of northern England. The latest analysis of testicular cancer incidence rates throughout the UK also reports significant variation between cancer networks, with the highest rates being in the south west, northern England, and areas of Scotland and Wales, and the lowest rates in London and eastern England.[5,6]
Geographical variation in testicular cancer incidence may reflect the ethnicity of the local population: testicular cancer risk is higher in white men compared with other ethnic groups.[7,8]
- Data were provided by the Office for National Statistics on request, July 2014. Similar data can be found here: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/search/index.html?newquery=cancer+registrations.
- Data were provided by ISD Scotland on request, April 2014. Similar data can be found here: http://www.isdscotland.org/Health-Topics/Cancer/Publications/index.asp.
- Data were provided by the Welsh Cancer Intelligence and Surveillance Unit on request, April 2014. Similar data can be found here:http://www.wales.nhs.uk/sites3/page.cfm?orgid=242pid=59080.
- Data were provided by the Northern Ireland Cancer Registry on request, June 2014. Similar data can be found here: http://www.qub.ac.uk/research-centres/nicr/.
- NCIN, Cancer Incidence and Mortality by Cancer Network, UK, 2005. London: NCIN; 2008.
- Testicular cancer (C62) European age-standardised incidence rates by UK Health Boundaries, males, 2008-2010. These data were extracted from the UK Cancer Information Service, version 4.5b 001 on 06/01/2014
- Quinn M, Wood H, Cooper N, et al. Cancer Atlas of the United Kingdom and Ireland 1991-2000. London, Office for National Statistics; 2005
- Jack RH, Davies EA, Moller H. Testis and prostate cancer incidence in ethnic groups in South East England. Int J Androl 2007:30(4):215-20.