Lung cancer has an enormous impact on national mortality and currently accounts for 6% of all deaths (including non-cancer deaths) in the UK. There are over twice as many deaths from lung cancer as the next ranked cancer, bowel cancer.
Lung cancer is the most common cause of cancer death in the UK (2012), accounting for 22% of all deaths from cancer.[1-3] Lung cancer is the most common cause of cancer death among men in the UK (2012), accounting for 23% of all male deaths from cancer. Among women in the UK lung cancer is also the most common cause of cancer death (2012), accounting for 21% of all female cancer deaths.
In 2012, there were 35,371 deaths from lung cancer in the UK: 19,304 (55%) in men and 16,067 (45%) in women, giving a male:female ratio of around 12:10.[1-3] The
Lung Cancer (C33-C34), Number of Deaths, Crude and European Age-Standardised (AS) Mortality Rates per 100,000 Population, UK, 2012
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||43.3||43.4||56.4||47.0||44.9|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||44.6||49.0||61.4||55.6||46.2|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||29.1||29.6||44.7||29.6||30.9|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||30.2||33.9||48.7||35.9||31.9|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||35.5||36.5||50.3||38.1||37.2|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||36.4||39.9||53.4||43.2||38.0|
95% LCL and 95% UCL are the 95% lower and upper
Analysis of lung cancer mortality rates throughout the UK shows significant variation between health boundaries for both males and females, with the highest rates being in Scotland and Northern England, and the lowest rates in Southern England.[4,5]
- Data were provided by the Office for National Statistics on request, January 2014. Similar data can be found here: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/publications/all-releases.html?definition=tcm%3A77-27475.
- Data are provided by ISD Scotland on request, March 2014. Similar data can be found here: http://gro-scotland.gov.uk/statistics/theme/vital-events/general/ref-tables/index.html.
- Data are provided annually by the Northern Ireland Cancer Registry on request, December 2013. Similar data can be found here: http://www.nisra.gov.uk/demography/default.asp22.htm.
- NCIN, UK. Cancer e-atlas. European Age-Standardised Mortality Rates, UK (England: former Primary Care Trusts; Wales; Scotland: NHS Health Boards; Northern Ireland: Health and Social Care Trusts), 2009-2011.
- NCIN. Cancer Incidence and Mortality by Cancer Network, UK, 2005. London: NCIN; 2008.