Lung cancer is the most common cause of cancer death in the UK (2014), accounting for 22% of all cancer deaths.[1-3] In males, it is the most common cause of cancer death in the UK (23% of all male cancer deaths), whilst it is the most common cause of cancer death in females in the UK (21% of all female cancer deaths).
In 2014, there were 35,895 lung cancer deaths in the UK: 19,563 (55%) in males and 16,332 (45%) in females, giving a male:female ratio of around 12:10.[1-3] The
Lung Cancer (C33-C34), Number of Deaths, Crude and European Age-Standardised (AS) Mortality Rates per 100,000 Population, UK, 2014
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||71.8||72.4||93.4||71.5||74.3|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||74.0||81.6||101.7||85.0||76.4|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||47.5||49.9||68.6||48.7||50.1|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||49.2||56.9||74.9||58.7||51.6|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||58.3||60.6||80.0||59.9||60.7|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||59.6||66.2||85.0||68.0||62.0|
95% LCL and 95% UCL are the 95% lower and upper
Lung cancer mortality rates throughout the UK vary significantly between health boundaries for both males and females, with the highest rates in Scotland and Northern England, and the lowest rates in Southern England.[4,5]
- Data were provided by the Office for National Statistics on request, Nocember 2015. Similar data can be found here: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregistrationsummarytables/previousReleases.
- Data are provided by Information Services Division (ISD) Scotland on request, November 2015. Similar data can be found here: http://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/statistics-and-data/statistics/statistics-by-theme/vital-events/vital-events-reference-tables.
- Data are provided annually by the Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency on request, November 2015. Similar data can be found here: http://www.nisra.gov.uk/demography/default.asp2.htm.
- NCIN, UK. Cancer e-atlas. European Age-Standardised Mortality Rates, UK (England: former Primary Care Trusts; Wales; Scotland: NHS Health Boards; Northern Ireland: Health and Social Care Trusts), 2009-2011.
- NCIN. Cancer Incidence and Mortality by Cancer Network, UK, 2005. London: NCIN; 2008.