Why donate shares to charity?
Donating your shares to support our work is a simple way to help us beat cancer sooner. It is also one of the most tax-effective ways to give money.
- You won't have to pay any capital gains tax on the shares you donate and you can claim income tax relief too.
- If you are a higher rate (40%) taxpayer you will be able to claim income tax relief equal to 40% of the value of the gift.
- If you are a highest rate (45%) taxpayer you will be able to claim income tax relief equal to 45% of the value of the gift.
In order to qualify for the tax relief, the shares or securities must be:
- listed or dealt on a recognised UK or foreign stock exchange
- units in authorised unit trusts
- shares in a UK open-ended investment company
- holdings in certain foreign collective investment schemes.
How to donate shares worth more than £500
Our dedicated stockbroker will help make selling your shares as easy and secure as possible. To start your giving journey, please contact Nicola at email@example.com on 0203 469 6824.
How to donate shares worth less than £500
If you would like to make a donation under £500, you can donate shares to ShareGift and mention Cancer Research UK. ShareGift is a charity specialising in accepting smaller share donations and can be contacted on 020 7930 3737 or through the ShareGift website.
ShareGift will accept nil value shares as long as they are transferrable.
Find out more
If you would like any further information on giving through shares, please contact Nicola at firstname.lastname@example.org on 0203 469 6824.
If you are unsure of your tax situation and would like more information, please contact the HM Revenue & Customs helpline on 0845 900 0444 or visit the HMRC website.