Oesophageal cancer is the 13th most common cancer in the UK (2011), accounting for 3% of all new cases. In males it is the 8th most common cancer (3% of male total), whilst it is the 14th most common in females (2%).[1-4]
In 2011, there were 8,332 new cases of oesophageal cancer in the UK: 5,582 (67%) in men and 2,750 (33%) in women, giving a male:female ratio of around 2:1.[1-4] The
Oesophageal Cancer (C15), Number of New Cases, Crude and European Age-Standardised (AS) Incidence Rates per 100,000 Population, UK, 2011
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||13.7||10.8||15.1||10.3||13.8|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||14.6||13.8||17.9||14.7||14.6|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||4.9||5.4||5.8||3.4||5.1|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||5.4||7.2||7.3||5.7||5.5|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||9.2||8.3||10.4||7.0||9.3|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||9.6||10.0||11.9||9.3||9.7|
95% LCL and 95% UCL are the lower and upper
There was a north-south divide in oesophageal cancer incidence across England in the 1990s, with the highest rates in North West England, parts of Scotland and Wales, and lower incidence in the South East of England.
Similarly, the latest analyses of oesophageal cancer incidence rates across the former cancer networks throughout the UK shows significant variation between cancer networks, with some of the highest rates being in parts of Scotland and Northwest England, and the lowest in the South and East of England and areas of London.[6,7]
- Data were provided by the Office for National Statistics on request, July 2013. Similar data can be found here: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/vsob1/cancer-statistics-registrations--england--series-mb1-/index.html.
- Data were provided by ISD Scotland on request, May 2013. Similar data can be found here: http://www.isdscotland.org/Health-Topics/Cancer/Publications/index.asp.
- Data were provided by the Welsh Cancer Intelligence and Surveillance Unit on request, June 2013. Similar data can be found here: http://www.wales.nhs.uk/sites3/page.cfm?orgid=242&pid=59080.
- Data were provided by the Northern Ireland Cancer Registry on request, June 2013. Similar data can be found here: http://www.qub.ac.uk/research-centres/nicr/CancerData/OnlineStatistics/.
- Quinn M, Wood H, Cooper N, et al, eds. Cancer Atlas of the United Kingdom and Ireland 1991–2000. Studies on Medical and Population Subjects No. 68. London: ONS; 2005.
- National Cancer Intelligence Network (NCIN). Cancer Incidence and Mortality by Cancer Network, UK, 2005. London: NCIN; 2008.
- National Cancer Intelligence Network (NCIN). Cancer e-Atlas. Accessed January 2014.