Oesophageal cancer is the 13th most common cancer in the UK (2013), accounting for 2% of all new cases. In males it is the eighth most common cancer (3% of male total), whilst it is the 13th most common in females (2%).[1-4]
In 2013, there were 8,784 new cases of oesophageal cancer in the UK: 5,852 (67%) in males and 2,932 (33%) in females, giving a male:female ratio of around 20:10.[1-4] The
Oesophageal Cancer (C15), Number of New Cases, Crude and European Age-Standardised (AS) Incidence Rates per 100,000 Population, UK, 2013
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||21.6||17.5||23.6||16.2||21.7|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||22.8||22.2||27.8||22.7||22.9|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||8.6||7.1||11.2||5.9||8.9|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||9.3||9.9||13.8||9.8||9.5|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||14.7||12.3||17.3||11.5||14.9|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||15.4||15.0||19.7||15.2||15.5|
95% LCL and 95% UCL are the lower and upper
ASR calculated with ESP2013. Not comparable with ASRs calculated with ESP1976.
Oesophageal cancer incidence rates across the former cancer networks throughout the UK vary significantly between cancer networks, with some of the highest rates in parts of Scotland and North West England, and the lowest in the South and East of England and areas of London.[5,6]
- Data were provided by the Office for National Statistics on request, July 2015. Similar data can be found here: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/vsob1/cancer-statistics-registrations--england--series-mb1-/index.html.
- Data were provided by ISD Scotland on request, April 2015. Similar data can be found here: http://www.isdscotland.org/Health-Topics/Cancer/Publications/index.asp.
- Data were provided by the Welsh Cancer Intelligence and Surveillance Unit on request, February 2015. Similar data can be found here: http://www.wales.nhs.uk/sites3/page.cfm?orgid=242&pid=59080.
- Data were provided by the Northern Ireland Cancer Registry on request, March 2015. Similar data can be found here: http://www.qub.ac.uk/research-centres/nicr/.
- National Cancer Intelligence Network (NCIN). Cancer Incidence and Mortality by Cancer Network, UK, 2005. London: NCIN; 2008.
- National Cancer Intelligence Network (NCIN). Cancer e-Atlas. Accessed January 2014.