Communications and Brand Ambassador Prize
This prize recognises an inspiring communicator of research funded by Cancer Research UK to the public through media work.
All career levels
TBC - Expected late 2018
TBC - Expected spring 2019
The honorarium may be used to support, develop or extend public engagement activity, or to undertake training relating to public engagement.
The winner will also be asked to give a public lecture, host a public engagement activity, write a public-facing article for CRUK, or undertake a similar task, the nature and timing of which to be agreed between the winner and CRUK.
Make a nomination
This prize is awarded once every two years to an outstanding researcher nominated by his or her peers.
- Nominations may be made on behalf of individuals who are living at the time of the nomination. An individual cannot nominate himself/herself.
- Nominees need to be in receipt of, or have been supported either directly or indirectly by, Cancer Research UK funding.
- There are no restrictions with regard to the race, gender, nationality, or religious or political views of the Nominee.
- While the current geographical location of the Nominee does not affect their eligibility, a significant proportion of their public engagement work should have taken place in the UK.
- The Prize will be presented to an individual.
- Institutions or organisations are not eligible for the Prize.
To nominate for this prize, the following materials must be submitted:
- A completed nomination form, which can be downloaded here.
There is no restriction on how many candidates can be nominated by an individual. There is also no restriction on the number of nominators completing forms on behalf of a candidate/team.
Nominators are asked to maintain the confidentiality of the nomination process.
Nominations must be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org
Paper nominations will not be accepted. A nomination should not be considered submitted until Cancer Research UK has issued an email confirming this. Confirmations will be sent within five working days.
Please note that the deadline is final and we cannot accept nominations after 5pm on the day of the deadline.
Winners of the Communications and Brand Ambassador Prize
Dr Emma Shanks
Title: 2017 winner
Position: Head of Screening
Affiliation: Cancer Research UK Beatson Institute
Read “Having cancer makes my work even more meaningful” — Emma's blog post for Cancer Research UK
Dr Vicky Forster
Title: 2015 winner
Position: Research Associate
Affiliation: University of Newcastle
Read “Dear Cancer, I beat you aged eight and today I got my PhD in cancer research” — Vicky's blog post for Cancer Research UK