Decorative image

Cancer, driving and motor insurance

Having cancer could have implications for your driving licence and motor insurance. You might need to contact the DVLA and your insurance company.

Cancer and driving

On its own, the fact that you have cancer doesn't make any difference to getting or keeping a driving licence.

But it's up to the Driver and Vehicle Licence Agency (DVLA) to decide whether you're medically fit to hold a licence. They can put restrictions on licences to take account of conditions that affect your fitness to drive.

Time restricted licence

For illnesses that get gradually worse, or those that come and go, the DVLA can issue a time restricted licence. This will be valid for 1, 2 or 3 years. You can renew it after getting a medical report.

This licence is still a full driving licence. So your insurance company won't be able to use it as an excuse for putting your premiums up, increasing your excess or refusing you cover.

Insurance company restrictions

Insurers can take account of DVLA restrictions on the type of vehicle you’re licensed to drive. They can insure you to drive only in circumstances for which you have a valid driving licence.

Insurers can also temporarily put the price up or increase your policy excess while you're getting used to a new disability or condition. They can only do this if there’s evidence that you are an increased risk during this period.

Increased charges

Insurance companies can charge more to reflect the increased cost of providing a service – for example, covering repairs for an individual vehicle that's been specially adapted to meet your needs.

When to tell your insurance company

The AA say you have a duty of disclosure to your insurance company. This means you must tell your insurance company about any diagnosis as soon as possible. You could have trouble making a claim later if you don’t do this.

Telling the DVLA about a cancer diagnosis

The DVLA have information about health conditions and driving on their website.

For a car or motorcycle licence, you only need to tell the DVLA you have cancer if:

  • you develop problems with the brain or nervous system
  • your doctor expresses concerns about your fitness to drive
  • you're restricted to certain types of vehicles or vehicles that have been adapted for you
  • your medication causes side effects likely to affect safe driving

You need to download form G1 – Confidential Medical Information.

Bus, coach or lorry licence holders who have cancer must tell the DVLA using form C1V.

You can be fined up to £1000 if you don't tell the DVLA about a medical condition that affects your health. And you could be prosecuted if you’re involved in an accident.

You can download the forms from the government's website

Contact the DVLA about your health

Drivers Medical Enquiries

Phone: 0300 790 6806 (if you are a car or motorcycle licence holder)
Opening hours Mon–Fri 8.00am–5.30pm, and Sat 8.00am–1.00pm