Kidney cancer is the seventh most common cancer in the UK (2013), accounting for 3% of all new cases. In males, it is the fifth most common cancer in the UK (4% of all male cases), whilst it is the 10th most common cancer in females (3% of all female cases).[1-4]
In 2013, there were 11,873 new cases of kidney cancer in the UK: 7,455 (63%) in males and 4,418 (37%) in females, giving a male:female ratio of around 17:10.[1-4] The
Kidney Cancer (C64-C66 and C68), Number of New Cases, Crude and European Age-Standardised (AS) Incidence Rates per 100,000 Population, UK, 2013
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||27.4||23.2||26.8||23.7||27.4|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||28.8||28.5||31.2||31.5||28.7|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||13.5||12.3||13.4||13.5||13.7|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||14.4||15.9||16.3||19.0||14.5|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||20.0||17.7||19.9||19.0||20.0|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||20.8||20.9||22.4||23.7||20.8|
95% LCL and 95% UCL are the 95% lower and upper
ASR calculated with ESP2013. Not comparable with ASRs calculated with ESP1976.
Kidney cancer incidence rates throughout the UK report vary significantly between the former cancer networks, with higher than average rates in parts of Scotland, Wales, south west England and northern England, and lower than average rates in parts of London and south-east England, and the West Midlands.[5,6]
- Data were provided by the Office for National Statistics on request, July 2015. Similar data can be found here: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/vsob1/cancer-statistics-registrations--england--series-mb1-/index.html.
- Data were provided by ISD Scotland on request, April 2015. Similar data can be found here: http://www.isdscotland.org/Health-Topics/Cancer/Publications/index.asp.
- Data were provided by the Welsh Cancer Intelligence and Surveillance Unit on request, February 2015. Similar data can be found here: http://www.wales.nhs.uk/sites3/page.cfm?orgid=242&pid=59080.
- Data were provided by the Northern Ireland Cancer Registry on request, March 2015. Similar data can be found here: http://www.qub.ac.uk/research-centres/nicr/.
- National Cancer Intelligence Network (NCIN). Cancer Incidence and Mortality by Cancer Network, UK, 2005. NCIN; London: 2008.
- National Cancer Intelligence Network (NCIN). Cancer e-Atlas. Accessed January 2014