Kidney cancer is the 8th most common cancer in the UK (2011), accounting for around 3% of all new cases. In males, it is the 7th most common cancer (4% of the male total), whilst it is 10th in females (2%).[1-4]
In 2011, there were 10,144 new cases of kidney cancer in the UK: 6,257 (62%) in men and 3,887 (38%) in women, giving a male:female ratio of around 16:10.[1-4] The
Kidney Cancer (C64-C66 and C68), Number of New Cases, Crude and European Age-Standardised (AS) Incidence Rates per 100,000 Population, UK, 2011
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||15.7||16.0||15.2||15.4||16.0|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||16.6||19.6||18.1||20.7||16.8|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||8.3||8.8||8.2||5.9||8.4|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||8.9||11.3||10.1||9.1||8.9|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||11.9||12.6||11.8||10.8||12.0|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||12.4||14.7||13.4||13.8||12.5|
95% LCL and 95% UCL are the 95% lower and upper
A north-south divide in kidney cancer incidence (particularly for females) has existed across the UK since at least the 1990s, when high rates were reported in Scotland, parts of Wales and the north of England. The latest analyses of kidney cancer incidence rates throughout the UK report significant variation between the former cancer networks, with higher than average rates in parts of Scotland, Wales, south west England and northern England, and lower than average rates in parts of London and south-east England, and the West Midlands.[6,7]
- Data were provided by the Office for National Statistics on request, July 2013. Similar data can be found here: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/vsob1/cancer-statistics-registrations--england--series-mb1-/index.html.
- Data were provided by ISD Scotland on request, May 2013. Similar data can be found here: http://www.isdscotland.org/Health-Topics/Cancer/Publications/index.asp.
- Data were provided by the Welsh Cancer Intelligence and Surveillance Unit on request, June 2013. Similar data can be found here: http://www.wales.nhs.uk/sites3/page.cfm?orgid=242&pid=59080.
- Data were provided by the Northern Ireland Cancer Registry on request, June 2013. Similar data can be found here: http://www.qub.ac.uk/research-centres/nicr/CancerData/OnlineStatistics/.
- Quinn M, Wood H, Cooper N, et al. Cancer Atlas of the United Kingdom and Ireland 1991-2000. Office for National Statistics: Newport; 2005.
- National Cancer Intelligence Network (NCIN). Cancer Incidence and Mortality by Cancer Network, UK, 2005. NCIN; London: 2008.
- National Cancer Intelligence Network (NCIN). Cancer e-Atlas. Accessed January 2014