Kidney cancer is the 13th most common cause of cancer death in the UK (2014), accounting for 3% of all cancer deaths.[1-3] In males, it is the 10th most common cause of cancer death in the UK (3% of all male cancer deaths), whilst it is the 14th most common cause of cancer death in females in the UK (2% of all female cancer deaths).
In 2014, there were 4,421 kidney cancer deaths in the UK: 2,774 (63%) in males and 1,647 (37%) in females, giving a male:female ratio of around 17:10.[1-3] The crude mortality rate shows that there are 9 kidney cancer deaths for every 100,000 males in the UK, and 5 for every 100,000 females.
Kidney Cancer (C64-C66 and C68), Number of Deaths, Crude and European Age-Standardised (AS) Mortality Rates per 100,000 Population, UK, 2014
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||9.9||10.3||12.2||7.6||10.3|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||10.8||14.0||15.3||12.5||11.1|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||4.6||3.8||5.7||2.5||4.7|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||5.1||5.9||7.7||5.2||5.2|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||7.0||7.0||9.0||5.2||7.3|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||7.5||9.0||10.7||7.8||7.7|
95% LCL and 95% UCL are the 95% lower and upper
Kidney cancer (ICD-10 C64 only) mortality rates throughout the UK show very little variation between health boundaries for both males and females.[4,5]
- Data were provided by the Office for National Statistics on request, November 2015. Similar data can be found here: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregistrationsummarytables/previousReleases.
- Data were provided by Information Services Division (ISD) Scotland on request, November 2015. Similar data can be found here: http://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/statistics-and-data/statistics/statistics-by-theme/vital-events/vital-events-reference-tables.
- Data were provided by the Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency on request, November 2015. Similar data can be found here: http://www.nisra.gov.uk/demography/default.asp2.htm.
- NCIN. Cancer Incidence and Mortality by Cancer Network, UK, 2005. London: NCIN;2008.
- NCIN. Cancer e-Atlas. European Age-Standardised Mortality Rates, UK (England: former Primary Care Trusts; Wales; Scotland: NHS Health Boards; Northern Ireland: Health and Social Care Trusts), 2009-2011.