Scientific Executive Board
The role of the Scientific Executive Board (SEB) is to develop and implement Cancer Research UK's scientific strategy.
SEB meets once every two months and is chaired by our Chief Executive, Harpal Kumar.
Our Chief Scientist, Professor Nic Jones, and Chief Clinician, Professor Peter Johnson are also members along with our Executive Directors.
Scientific experts are also invited in to help inform discussion on particular topics.
The SEB interacts closely with the Research Strategy Committee (RSC).
Members of the board
- Dr Keith Blundy, Chief Executive Officer, Cancer Research Technology
- Dr Iain Foulkes, Executive Director, Strategy and Research Funding
- Professor Peter Johnson, Chief Clinician Professor
- Professor Nic Jones, Chief Scientist
- Dr Harpal Kumar, Chief Executive
- Ian Kenyon, Chief Financial Officer and Executive Director, Corporate Resources
The Scientific Executive Board holds overall responsibility for Cancer Research UK's research funding, and has oversight of the funding committees who award grants for investigator-led research.
The board can also consider approaches for funding that do not fall within the scope of our existing funding committees and schemes. For example, this may be because:
- The cost exceeds the limits available to a committee
- The scope spans the remit of multiple funding committees
- An initiative involves a consortium-based approach
- There is a need to recruit international leadership in key research areas
It is rare for us to fund activity this way as most activity should be covered via our funding schemes, but approaches via this route are considered on an individual basis. In the first Instance it is recommended that you discuss ideas with Iain Foulkes (Exec Director of Strategy & Research Funding), Nic Jones (Chief Scientist) or Peter Johnson (Chief Clinician).
Get in touch
If you require further information or have any comments please get in touch.