Getting diagnosed with chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL)

You usually start by seeing your GP if you have symptoms. Or your GP might arrange to see you if you have had an abnormal blood test result. They will ask you about any symptoms and examine you.

They will then decide whether to refer you for further tests or to a specialist. 

Seeing your GP

See your GP if you notice a change that isn't normal for you or if you have any of the possible signs and symptoms of chronic leukaemia.

Referral to a specialist for CLL

Your GP should refer you for an urgent blood test if your symptoms could be due to CLL.

Screening for CLL

There isn't a screening programme in the UK for chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL). Read more about this. 

Tests for CLL

You might have tests to diagnose CLL and throughout treatment to see how the treatment is working.

Last reviewed: 
17 Sep 2021
Next review due: 
17 Sep 2024
Coronavirus and cancer

We know it’s a worrying time for people with cancer, we have information to help.

Read our information about coronavirus and cancer