Stomach cancer is the 16th most common cancer in the UK (2012), accounting for 2% of all new cases. In males it is the 12th most common cancer (3% of the male total), while it is the 16th in females (1% of all new cases).[1-4]
In 2012, there were 6,986 new cases of stomach cancer in the UK: 4,565 (65%) in men and 2,421 (35%) in women, giving a male:female ratio of around 19:10.[1-4] The
Stomach Cancer (C16), Number of New Cases, Crude and European Age-Standardised (AS) Incidence Rates per 100,000 Population, UK, 2012
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||17.2||19.1||19.7||14.6||17.8|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||18.4||24.1||23.7||21.4||18.9|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||6.9||7.4||9.0||6.7||7.3|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||7.6||10.2||11.4||10.8||7.9|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||11.6||13.1||14.0||10.9||12.1|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||12.2||15.8||16.2||14.6||12.6|
95% LCL and 95% UCL are the 95% lower and upper
ASR calculated with ESP2013. Not comparable with ASRs calculated with ESP1976.
Stomach cancer incidence in the UK has been highest in the north of England, Wales and Scotland since at least the 1990s. The latest analysis of stomach cancer incidence rates throughout the UK still reports significant variation between cancer networks, with higher than average rates in the north of England and the West Midlands, Wales, Northern Ireland and parts of Scotland.[6,7]
- Data were provided by the Office for National Statistics on request, July 2014. Similar data can be found here: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/vsob1/cancer-statistics-registrations--england--series-mb1-/index.html.
- Data were provided by ISD Scotland on request, April 2014. Similar data can be found here: http://www.isdscotland.org/Health-Topics/Cancer/Publications/index.asp.
- Data were provided by the Welsh Cancer Intelligence and Surveillance Unit on request, April 2014. Similar data can be found here: http://www.wales.nhs.uk/sites3/page.cfm?orgid=242&pid=59080.
- Data were provided by the Northern Ireland Cancer Registry on request, June 2014. Similar data can be found here: http://www.qub.ac.uk/research-centres/nicr/.
- Quinn M, Wood H, Cooper N, et al, eds. Cancer Atlas of the United Kingdom and Ireland 1991–2000. Studies on Medical and Population Subjects No. 68. London: ONS; 2005.
- NCIN. Cancer Incidence and Mortality by Cancer Network, UK, 2005. London: NCIN; 2008.
- NCIN. Cancer e-Atlas. Accessed January 2014