Malignant melanoma is the fifth most common cancer in the UK (2013), accounting for 4% of all new cases. In males, it is the seventh most common cancer in the UK (4% of all male cases), whilst it is the fifth most common cancer in females in the UK (4% of all new cases).[1-4]
In 2013, there were 14,509 new cases of malignant melanoma in the UK: 7,152 (49%) in males and 7,357 (51%) in females, giving a male: female ratio of around 10:10.[1-4] The
Malignant Melanoma (C43), Number of New Cases, Crude and European Age-Standardised (AS) Incidence Rates per 100,000 Population, UK, 2013
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||26.0||23.4||24.0||20.7||25.9|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||27.3||28.8||28.2||28.1||27.1|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||22.9||19.5||19.7||20.7||22.7|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||24.1||24.1||23.1||27.3||23.8|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||24.2||21.7||21.8||21.3||24.0|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||25.1||25.1||24.5||26.1||24.8|
95% LCL and 95% UCL are the 95% lower and upper
ASR calculated with ESP2013. Not comparable with ASRs calculated with ESP1976.
Malignant melanoma incidence rates vary significantly across the former cancer networks throughout the UK with higher rates in the south and south west regions of England, and lower rates in areas of London.[6,7] This reflects variation in risk factors.
- Data were provided by the Office for National Statistics on request, July 2015. Similar data can be found here: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/search/index.html?newquery=cancer+registrations
- Data were provided by ISD Scotland on request, April 2015. Similar data can be found here: http://www.isdscotland.org/Health-Topics/Cancer/Publications/index.asp
- Data were provided by the Welsh Cancer Intelligence and Surveillance Unit on request, February 2015. Similar data can be found here: http://www.wales.nhs.uk/sites3/page.cfm?orgid=242&pid=59080
- Data were provided by the Northern Ireland Cancer Registry on request, March 2014. Similar data can be found here: http://www.qub.ac.uk/research-centres/nicr/
- National Cancer Intelligence Network (NCIN). Cancer Incidence and Mortality by Cancer Network, UK, 2005. London: NCIN; 2008.
- National Cancer Intelligence Network (NCIN). Cancer e-Atlas