Leukaemia (all subtypes combined) is the 11th most common cancer in the UK (2013), accounting for 3% of all new cases. In males, it is the ninth most common cancer (3% of the male cases), whilst it is the 11th (2%) in females.[1-4]
In 2013, there were 9,301 new cases of leukaemia in the UK: 5,585 (60%) in men and 3,716 (40%) in females, giving a male:female ratio of around 15:10.[1-4] The
Leukaemia (C91-C95), Number of New Cases, Crude and European Age-Standardised (AS) Incidence Rates per 100,000 Population, UK, 2013
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||20.9||21.9||13.3||12.1||20.4|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||22.1||27.1||16.5||17.7||21.5|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||11.4||12.5||7.7||5.9||11.2|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||12.2||16.1||9.9||9.6||11.9|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||15.8||17.5||10.6||9.4||15.5|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||16.5||20.6||12.4||12.7||16.1|
95% LCL and 95% UCL are the 95% lower and upper
ASR calculated with ESP2013. Not comparable with ASRs calculated with ESP1976.
Although there is variation in leukaemia (all subtypes combined) incidence between cancer networks in the UK, [6-8] analysis by the Haematological Malignancy Research Network (HMRN) comparing reported incidence with expected incidence in cancer networks found that this variation most likely reflects differences in registration methods, diagnosis and classification rather than true incidence differences.
- Data were provided by the Office for National Statistics on request, July 2015. Similar data can be found here: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/vsob1/cancer-statistics-registrations--england--series-mb1-/index.html.
- Data were provided by ISD Scotland on request, April 2015. Similar data can be found here: http://www.isdscotland.org/Health-Topics/Cancer/Publications/index.asp.
- Data were provided by the Welsh Cancer Intelligence and Surveillance Unit on request, February 2015. Similar data can be found here: http://www.wales.nhs.uk/sites3/page.cfm?orgid=242&pid=59080.
- Data were provided by the Northern Ireland Cancer Registry on request, March 2015. Similar data can be found here: http://www.qub.ac.uk/research-centres/nicr/.
- Haematological Malignancy Research Network. Haematological malignancies & cancer registration in England (2004-2008). Quality appraisal comparing data from the National Cancer Data Repository (NCDR) with the population-based Haematological Malignancy Research Network (HMRN). Final Report. London: Leukaemia Lymphoma Research; 2012.
- Quinn M, Wood H, Cooper N, et al, eds. Cancer Atlas of the United Kingdom and Ireland 1991-2000. Studies on Medical and Population Subjects No. 68. London: ONS; 2005.
- NCIN. Cancer Incidence and Mortality by Cancer Network, UK, 2005. London: NCIN
- NCIN. Cancer e-Atlas.