Leukaemia (all subtypes combined) is the 11th most common cause of cancer death in the UK (2014), accounting for 3% of all cancer deaths.[1-3] In males, it is the 11th most common cause of cancer death (3% of all male cancer deaths), whilst it is the 11th most common cause of cancer death in females (3% of all female cancer deaths).[1-3]
In 2014, there were 4,584 leukaemia deaths in the UK: 2,656 (58%) in males and 1,928 (42%) in females, giving a male:female ratio of around 14:10.[1-3] The
Leukaemia (C91-C95), Number of Deaths, Crude and European Age-Standardised (AS) Mortality Rates per 100,000 Population, UK, 2014
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||10.1||9.0||8.7||8.4||10.1|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||10.9||12.6||11.4||13.5||10.9|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||5.5||4.9||4.6||4.1||5.5|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||6.1||7.3||6.3||7.3||6.0|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||7.5||7.1||6.7||6.5||7.6|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||8.0||9.1||8.2||9.4||8.0|
95% LCL and 95% UCL are the 95% lower and upper
Leukaemia (all subtypes combined) mortality rates throughout the UK shows some variation between health boundaries for both males and females; however, as with variation in incidence, this is probably associated with differences in registration practices.[4-6]
- Data were provided by the Office for National Statistics on request, November 2015. Similar data can be found here: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregistrationsummarytables/previousReleases.
- Data were provided by Information Services Division (ISD) Scotland on request, November 2015. Similar data can be found here: http://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/statistics-and-data/statistics/statistics-by-theme/vital-events/vital-events-reference-tables.
- Data were provided by the Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency on request, November 2015. Similar data can be found here: http://www.nisra.gov.uk/demography/default.asp2.htm.
- NCIN. Cancer Incidence and Mortality by Cancer Network, UK, 2005. London: NCIN; 2008.
- NCIN. Cancer e-Atlas. European Age-Standardised Mortality Rates, UK (England: former Primary Care Trusts; Wales; Scotland: NHS Health Boards; Northern Ireland: Health and Social Care Trusts), 2009-2011.
- Haematological Malignancy Research Network. Haematological malignancies & cancer registration in England (2004-2008). Quality appraisal comparing data from the National Cancer Data Repository (NCDR) with the population-based Haematological Malignancy Research Network (HMRN). Final Report. London: Leukaemia & Lymphoma Research, 2012.