What we offer
- understand the key messages around cancer awareness
- improve your confidence and ‘know how’ to make the most of your conversations about cancer and health
- encourage people to make healthy lifestyle changes, use local services and see their doctor with any concerns
- Face-to-face workshops: for health and social care professionals and volunteers, led by our expert trainers at any UK location. We have a number of funded workshops available for eligible groups. You can check your groups’ eligibility here.
- Online course: a self-directed course with a more general introduction to cancer awareness suitable for anyone, whether your interest is personal or professional.
Talk Cancer workshops are hands-on, lively and practical training sessions, led by expert trainers with years of experience talking to the public. Trainees often tell us they’re surprised by how positive the workshops are, and how inspired they feel when they realise the difference they can make. Our workshop content is always backed up by the latest evidence around cancer prevention, early diagnosis and screening.
What workshops are available?
|3 hours||10-20 people||
Talk Cancer: Pharmacy
|90 minute||10-50 people||Talk Cancer, tailored for pharmacy staff, plus:
|3 hours||10-20 people|
Talk Cancer: Train the Presenter
|Full day||10-16 people||Concise version of Talk Cancer, plus:
Who is it for?
Anyone who can promote health and wellbeing as part of their role, including but not limited to those working in the following areas, at all levels:
|Occupational work||Mental health||Housing|
|Social care||Social work||Public health|
|Sexual health||Community health||Community volunteering|
What do our trainees think?
“I think when we were first told about the cancer training I thought "oh god, it's all going to be morbid and boring", but it was good fun to do and it was upbeat and made us aware that people are surviving more. That's why I would recommend people to go on it - it's changed my view from a negative outlook to a positive one."
We want to help as many people as possible to feel confident talking about cancer and health no matter where they are. Our free online course, Talking About Cancer: Reducing Risk, Early Detection and Mythbusting, is based on the principles of our face-to-face workshops, and takes a more basic, universal approach to the essentials of the topic.
What's the format?
You'll learn through videos, quizzes, articles, exercises, interactive discussion, and clips of role-played scenarios demonstrating conversational dos and don’ts.
Who is it for?
Anyone with an interest in talking about cancer, whether in a personal or professional context.
How does it work?
- You can join the course anytime you like, and do it at your own pace.
- You'll have access to the course for 5 weeks after you start.
- It takes around 3 hours, and works on mobile, tablet or desktop.
- It's hosted by social learning platform FutureLearn.
- The course is free of charge. You'll be given the option to 'upgrade' for a certificate valid for CPD and permanent access to the course for £42, but there's no obligation to purchase.
What do learners think?
“A course like this – that encourages people to be open about health issues and points the way to reliable resources – can save lives.”
We’re now on twitter.
Join the conversation and follow @TalkCancer_CRUK for news, updates and opinion.