Getting diagnosed

Your GP will refer you to a specialist if they think your symptoms could be due to kidney cancer. You will have tests to find out if you have kidney cancer.

Seeing your GP

What to expect when you see a GP, and how to get the most out of your appointment.

Referral to a specialist

Your GP should arrange for you to see a specialist if you have symptoms that could be due to cancer. You usually see a specialist called a urologist.


There is no UK kidney cancer screening programme. Find out why.

Tests to diagnose

You may have an ultrasound scan, CT urogram or cystoscopy to see whether you could have kidney cancer. See how you have these tests.

Tests to stage

You may have one or more of these tests if you have been diagnosed with kidney cancer. Find out what to expect. 



Last reviewed: 
26 May 2020
Next review due: 
26 May 2023
Coronavirus and cancer

We know it’s a worrying time for people with cancer, we have information to help.

Read our information about coronavirus and cancer