Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in men in the UK (2012), accounting for 25% of all new cases of cancer in males.[1-4] In 1990, both lung and bowel cancers were more common in males than prostate cancer, but by 1998 prostate cancer was the most common cancer in UK males.
In 2012, there were 43,436 new cases of prostate cancer in males in the UK.[1-4] The
Prostate Cancer (C61), Number of New Cases, Crude and European Age-Standardised (AS) Incidence Rates per 100,000 Population, Males, UK, 2012
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||172.9||169.7||126.0||146.9||169.2|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||176.5||183.8||135.6||166.1||172.4|
95% LCL and 95% UCL are the 95% lower and upper
ASR calculated with ESP2013. Not comparable with ASRs calculated with ESP1976.
The latest analysis of prostate cancer incidence rates throughout the UK shows that in England now, as in the 1990s, there is little geographical variation in prostate cancer incidence: rates are lowest in the north, and higher than average in many parts of London and the south.[5-7] In Scotland, rates are highest in the south-east; and in Wales there is little variation between regions.[6,7]
- Data were provided by the Office for National Statistics on request, July 2014. Similar data can be found here: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/vsob1/cancer-statistics-registrations--england--series-mb1-/index.html.
- Data were provided by ISD Scotland on request, April 2014. Similar data can be found here: http://www.isdscotland.org/Health-Topics/Cancer/Publications/index.asp.
- Data were provided by the Welsh Cancer Intelligence and Surveillance Unit on request, April 2014. Similar data can be found here:http://www.wales.nhs.uk/sites3/page.cfm?orgid=242&pid=59080.
- Data were provided by the Northern Ireland Cancer Registry on request, June 2013. Similar data can be found here: http://www.qub.ac.uk/research-centres/nicr/.
- Quinn M, Wood H, Cooper N, Rowan S, eds. Cancer Atlas of the United Kingdom and Ireland 1991–2000. Studies on Medical and Population Subjects No. 68. London: ONS; 2005.
- NCIN. Cancer Incidence and Mortality by Cancer Network, UK, 2005. London: NCIN; 2008.
- NCIN. Cancer e-Atlas. Accessed January 2013.