Science Committee Programme Awards
About this scheme
Applications are accepted from scientists, clinicians or health care workers in UK universities, medical schools, hospitals and some research institutions. All applicants for Science Committee Programme Awards are required to discuss their proposal with Cancer Research UK staff before starting the application process.
Applications are judged on the basis of scientific excellence, innovation and importance to furthering our understanding of cancer or potential benefits to cancer patients. Applications will be considered in the following areas:
- Basic biological research: Any area of basic biological research relating to cancer. Studies may include the use of model systems (e.g. yeast, worm, fly, zebrafish, mouse), cell lines (animal or human) or primary tumour material
- Preclinical studies: Research that will generate biological data to underpin therapeutic development
- Radiotherapy research
- The application of engineering and physical sciences to cancer
For more specific details of research supported by Science Committee Programme Awards, please refer to the scheme guidelines.
Funding support provided for:
- Salaries for researchers and technical staff
- PhD Students (stipend, fees and running expenses)
- Running expenses
How to apply to this scheme
Overview of the application process
Applications for Science Committee Programme Awards are considered twice a year and follow a two-stage process:
- Outline application: You'll need to submit an outline application which the Science Committee will use to decide whether to invite you to submit a full application to a subsequent meeting. We advise you to contact the office at least two months prior to the submission deadline to discuss the process and be given access to an online application form. If you're a renewing applicant, you do not need to complete this stage.
- Full or Renewing application: If you're invited to submit a full application, you can do so straightaway or wait until the next funding call. You'll be invited to an interview with an Expert Review Panel who will make funding recommendations to the Science Committee.
All full applications must be made through our electronic Grants Management System (eGMS), where one PI must assume the responsibility of named Lead Applicant.
Outline application deadline
Full application deadline
21 February 2017
08 June 2017
22 August 2017
Early December 2017 (TBC)
February/March 2018 (TBC)
Please note that if your outline application is approved, you can choose to submit by either of the two subsequent full application deadlines.
Before making your application
1. Please ensure you read the following documents:
2. Applicants must contact the office to discuss their eligibility and suitability of their research proposal in advance of submitting an application (contact information below)
Contact our funding team
You must contact a funding manager for this scheme to discuss you proposal before starting your application.
Applications from Scotland and Cambridge
Dr Gemma Balmer – Senior Research Funding Manager
Tel: 020 3469 6125
Applications from London, Essex and Southampton
Dr Susana Sequeira – Research Funding Manager
Tel: 020 3469 8963
Applications from Yorkshire and North-East England
Dr Richard Muscat - Research Funding Manager
Tel: 020 3469 5446
Applications from all other locations
Dr Siru Virtanen – Research Funding Manager
Tel: 020 3469 8766
Related guidance to download
Our Strategy and Research Funding teams attend and exhibit at conferences, meetings and workshops throughout the year.