Training for the Virgin Money London Marathon
Support to the finish line
From health and nutrition to training and race day tips, find out what you need to know in our handy guide
We'll help you prepare for the big day with professional training plans and group training sessions from running experts RunningWithUs.
It’s all part of supporting our team every step of the way to reach our £1 million target and help to bring forward the day when all cancers are cured.
Get support with your training
You’ll get plenty of tips and advice, but here are a few pointers to get you started:
- Plan your training – keep your schedule written down so you always know what you’re doing
- Remember to rest – building in rest days will allow your body to repair and recover
- Build up slowly – gradually increase your distance. A good guide is to go up by around 10% a week
- Mix it up – combine long, slow runs with faster paced runs and interval training
- Buddy up – running with a friend or in a group is a great way to keep up motivation. Meet and train with your teammates at our group training sessions.
Download your marathon training plan
Choose a training plan to get you fit for the Virgin Money London Marathon 2015:
Been here before?
Stock up on the right foods
A good diet will help you with your training. Here are our top nutrition tips:
- Small, regular meals will help you balance your energy levels
- Carbohydrates, protein and fats should be a big part of your daily diet
- Keep your fluid levels up with a minimum 2.5 litres of water a day
- Don't forget your vitamins, especially iron and vitamins C and D
Our strategy to beat cancer sooner
Our vision is to bring forward the day when all cancers are cured. Our new strategy will give us the foundations we need to tackle the challenges ahead.
"I learnt so much at the training days"
"I felt really supported and learnt so much about training - from running schedules to conditioning exercises and tips on energy gels."
- Debbie, 2014 London Marathon runner