Our policy on COVID-19 and cancer
Get in touch with our policy team to find out more information about our work and our policies.
What are our COVID-19 and cancer priorities?
The COVID-19 pandemic has had a huge impact on Cancer Research UK and the people affected by cancer who we support. It has changed everything from how health services across the UK diagnose and treat cancer patients, to how charities fundraise and how scientists carry out medical research.
Our work to understand and alleviate the impact of COVID-19 is focussed on three areas:
• Ensuring cancer patients can continue to get the diagnosis and treatment they need as quickly and safely as possible
• Minimising the negative effects of the pandemic on medical research and our future progress for cancer patients
• Securing government support for charities so the sector is strong enough to help the country emerge from this crisis
Since the start of the pandemic we have been working hard across the nations to influence governments, develop evidenced-based policy positions, and respond to consultations.
Delivering cancer services during COVID-19
- Cancer Research UK written submission to Public Accounts Committee inquiry into NHS Backlogs and waiting times, November 2021 (Download here)
- Cancer Research UK written submission to Health and Social Care Committee inquiry on clearing the backlog caused by the pandemic, September 2021 (Download here)
- Cancer Research UK written submission to APPG on Blood Cancer and APPG on Stem Cell Transplantation joint inquiry into the impact of COVID-19 on blood cancer services, July 2021 (UK wide version)
- One Cancer Voice: COVID-19 and Cancer: A 12-point plan for restoration, recovery and transformation of cancer services (England version)
- Priorities for the UK Governments and Health Services to recover cancer services through and beyond the COVID-19 pandemic (UK wide version)
- Cancer Research UK Briefing May 2020: COVID-19 and Cancer (Scotland version)
- Written evidence from Cancer Research UK May 2020: Scottish Parliament Health and Sport Committee Inquiry into COVID-19 testing (Scotland version)
- Submission to the Health Committee inquiry on COVID-19 and health and social care June 2020: Impact of COVID-19 and Cancer in Wales (Wales version)
- Wales Cancer Alliance – submission to Health, Social Care and Sport Committee inquiry into the impact of the COVID19 outbreak on health and social care in Wales (Wales version)
- MLA briefing: Impact of COVID-19 on cancer (Northern Ireland version)
Supporting medical research for future progress
- Cancer Research UK written evidence May 2020: Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Committee Inquiry on the impact of Coronavirus on business and workers (England version and UK wide version)
- Cancer Research UK submission: Treasury Committee Inquiry on the Economic Impact of Coronavirus (England version and UK wide version)
- Powering the next decade of world-leading cancer research (UK wide version)
- Joint letter to the Prime Minister from 64 British Heart Foundation and Cancer Research UK senior researchers
Supporting charities through the pandemic
- Cancer Research UK written evidence March 2020: Inquiry on the Impact of COVID-19 on the charity sector (England version and UK wide version)
- Cancer Research UK written evidence June 2020: Impact of COVID-19 on DCMS sectors (England version and UK wide version)
- Cancer Research UK Briefing April 2020: The fundraising and organisational challenges faced by the charitable and voluntary sector during the COVID-19 pandemic (England version)