Coronavirus and cancer

We know it’s a worrying time for people with cancer, we have information to help. If you have symptoms of cancer contact your doctor.

Read our information about coronavirus and cancer

Decorative image

Referral to a specialist

Find out when GPs refer people to see a womb cancer specialist.

Your GP should arrange for you to see a specialist within 2 weeks if you have symptoms that could be due to womb cancer. This is called an urgent referral.

Seeing your GP

Most patients who see a GP do not have cancer and have symptoms due to a more minor condition. For some symptoms, your doctor may ask you to wait to see if the symptoms get better or respond to treatment, such as antibiotics.

There are guidelines for GPs to help them decide who needs a referral.

Urgent referral

Urgent referral means that you should see a specialist within 2 weeks.

You should have an urgent referral if you are aged 55 or over and you have bleeding from your vagina after the menopause (post menopausal bleeding).

If you are under 55 and have post menopausal bleeding, your GP will consider an urgent referral.

Your GP should consider referring you for an ultrasound scan if you are aged 55 or over and have:
  • vaginal discharge and this is the first time you've had it, you have a high platelet count (thrombocytosis) or you have blood in your urine
  • visible blood in your urine and you have low red blood cell levels (anaemia), a high platelet count or high blood sugar levels

Your doctor will also refer you for an ultrasound if they feel a lump in your tummy (abdomen) or pelvis, and it is not obvious what it is (for example a fibroid).

UK referral guidelines

The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) and Healthcare Improvement Scotland (HIS) produce guidelines for GPs in the UK. The guidelines help them decide who needs an urgent referral.

Information and help