Tests to diagnose

Your doctor examines and removes the abnormal area of skin. If you have melanoma skin cancer, you have a second operation to remove more tissue. 

Looking at your mole or skin (dermoscopy)

You will go to the skin (dermatology) clinic and see a specialist doctor (dermatologist). 

Removing your mole (excision biopsy)

Your doctor will remove your mole to see if it's melanoma skin cancer.

Last reviewed: 
22 Apr 2020
Next review due: 
21 Apr 2023