Diagnosing and assessing lymphoedema

Doctors and specialist nurses can diagnose and assess the risk of lymphoedema.

Diagnosing and tests

Your doctor will arrange for you to see a lymphoedema specialist if you have swelling that could be due to cancer or its treatment.

Assessing lymphoedema

Your specialist nurse or physiotherapist will do a full assessment of your swelling (lymphoedema). This includes measuring the amount of swelling and looking at your skin.

Last reviewed: 
13 Aug 2019
Coronavirus and cancer

We know it’s a worrying time for people with cancer, we have information to help.

Read our information about coronavirus and cancer