Decorative image

Getting diagnosed

You usually start by seeing your GP if you have symptoms. Your GP will examine you and might arrange blood tests. If the results show signs of acute lymphoblastic leukaemia (ALL) they will refer you straight away to see a specialist.

Seeing your GP

Find out what happens when you see your GP and how to get the most out of your appointment.

Referral to a specialist

Find out when GPs refer people to see a specialist (haematologist).


There is no national screening programme for ALL. Find out why. 


Find out about tests to diagnose ALL including blood tests, bone marrow tests and a lumbar puncture.

Last reviewed: 
22 May 2018
Coronavirus and cancer

We know it’s a worrying time for people with cancer, we have information to help.

Read our information about coronavirus and cancer