Mesothelioma accounts for less than 1% of all cancers in the UK (2014). In males, it is the 17th most common cancer in the UK (accounting for 1% of all male cases). In females, it accounts for less than 1% of all female cases.[1-4]
In 2014, there were 2,717 new cases of mesothelioma in the UK: 2,298 (84%) in males and 428 (16%) in females, giving a male:female ratio of around 53:10.[1-4] The
The marked male excess in mesothelioma incidence reflects sex differences in occupational asbestos exposure.
For males, the European
Mesothelioma (C45), Number of New Cases, Crude and European Age-Standardised (AS) Incidence Rates per 100,000 Population, UK, 2014
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||8.6||6.6||7.4||3.9||8.5|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||9.4||9.6||9.9||7.7||9.2|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||1.3||0.3||0.5||0.1||1.2|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||1.6||1.0||1.1||1.3||1.5|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||4.6||3.3||3.6||2.0||4.5|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||5.0||4.7||4.8||3.7||4.9|
95% LCL and 95% UCL are the 95% lower and upper
For mesothelioma, like most cancer types, differences between countries largely reflect risk factor prevalence in years past.
- Data were provided by the Office for National Statistics on request, June 2016. Similar data can be found here: http://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/bulletins/cancerregistrationstatisticsengland/previousReleases
- Data were provided by ISD Scotland on request, May 2016. Similar data can be found here: http://www.isdscotland.org/Health-Topics/Cancer/Publications/
- Data were provided by the Welsh Cancer Intelligence and Surveillance Unit, Health Intelligence Division, Public Health Wales on request, June 2016. Similar data can be found here: http://www.wcisu.wales.nhs.uk
- Data were provided by the Northern Ireland Cancer Registry on request, May 2016. Similar data can be found here: http://www.qub.ac.uk/research-centres/nicr/
- Mesothelioma (C) European age standardised incidence rates by UK Cancer Networks, 2008-2010. These data were extracted from the UK Cancer Information Service, version 4.5b 001 on 30/01/2014.
About this data
Data is for: UK, 2014, ICD-10 C45