Mesothelioma accounts for 0.8% of all cancers in the UK (2013). In males, it is the 17th most common cancer in the UK (accounting for 1% of all male cases). In females, it accounts for 0.3% of all female cases.[1-4]
In 2013, there were 2,667 new cases of mesothelioma in the UK: 2,222 (83%) in males and 445 (17%) in females, giving a male:female ratio of around 50:10.[1-4] The
The marked male excess in mesothelioma incidence reflects sex differences in occupational asbestos exposure.
Mesothelioma (C45), Number of New Cases, Crude and European Age-Standardised (AS) Incidence Rates per 100,000 Population, UK, 2013
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||8.5||7.0||7.8||4.6||8.4|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||9.3||10.1||10.5||8.7||9.2|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||1.3||0.5||0.9||0.0||1.3|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||1.6||1.5||1.8||1.0||1.6|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||4.6||3.6||4.0||2.1||4.5|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||5.0||5.1||5.3||3.9||4.9|
95% LCL and 95% UCL are the 95% lower and upper
ASR calculated with ESP2013. Not comparable with ASRs calculated with ESP1976.
Mesothelioma incidence rates throughout the UK vary moderately between the former cancer networks. Within England, in males, the highest rates are in parts of the south, south-east and north of England. This geographical variation reflects the location of industries involving asbestos exposure.
- Data were provided by the Office for National Statistics on request, July 2015. Similar data can be found here: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/vsob1/cancer-statistics-registrations--england--series-mb1-/index.html
- Data were provided by ISD Scotland on request, April 2015. Similar data can be found here: http://www.isdscotland.org/Health-Topics/Cancer/Publications/index.asp#605
- Data were provided by the Welsh Cancer Intelligence and Surveillance Unit on request, February 2015. Similar data can be found here: http://www.wales.nhs.uk/sites3/page.cfm?orgid=242&pid=590805626
- Data were provided by the Northern Ireland Cancer Registry on request, March 2015. Similar data can be found here: http://www.qub.ac.uk/research-centres/nicr/
- Mesothelioma (C) European age standardised incidence rates by UK Cancer Networks, 2008-2010. These data were extracted from the UK Cancer Information Service, version 4.5b 001 on 30/01/2014.
- National Cancer Intelligence Network (NCIN). Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma NCIN Data Briefing. NCIN: London; 2012.