Mesothelioma is the 16th most common cause of cancer death in the UK (2014), accounting for 2% of all cancer deaths.[1-3] In males, it is the 13th most common cause of cancer death in the UK (2% of all male cancer deaths), whilst it is the 20th most common cause of cancer death in females in the UK (less than 1% of all female cancer deaths).[1-3]
In 2014, there were 2,567 mesothelioma deaths in the UK: 2,143 (83%) in males and 424 (17%) in females, giving a male:female ratio of around 51:10.[1-3] The
Mesothelioma (C45), Number of Deaths, Crude and European Age-Standardised (AS) Mortality Rates per 100,000 Population, UK, 2014
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||8.2||6.1||5.7||4.0||8.0|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||9.0||9.0||7.9||7.9||8.7|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||1.3||0.3||0.7||-0.0||1.2|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||1.6||1.1||1.5||0.8||1.5|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||4.4||3.0||3.0||1.8||4.2|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||4.8||4.4||4.1||3.4||4.6|
95% LCL and 95% UCL are the 95% lower and upper
Mesothelioma mortality rates throughout Great Britain vary significantly between health boundaries. The highest rates tend to be in areas which contain ports and dockyards, such as West Dunbartonshire in Scotland and Barrow-in-Furness in England, further supporting the link between mesothelioma and past exposure to asbestos in the shipbuilding industry.[4,5]
- Data were provided by the Office for National Statistics on request, November 2015. Similar data can be found here: http://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths.
- Data were provided by ISD Scotland on request, November 2015. Similar data can be found here: http://www.isdscotland.org/Health-Topics/Cancer/Publications/index.asp.
- Data were provided by the Northern Ireland Cancer Registry on request, November 2015. Similar data can be found here: http://www.qub.ac.uk/research-centres/nicr/.
- Health and Safety Executive. Mesothelioma in Great Britain 2013. Mesothelioma mortality in Great Britain 1968-2011. Merseyside: HSE; 2013.
- Health and Safety Executive. Mesothelioma Mortality in Great Britain: Analyses by Geographical Area and Occupation 2005. Merseyside: HSE; 2008.