Breast cancer has been the most common cancer in the UK since 1997, despite the fact that it is rare in men. It is by far the most common cancer among women in the UK (2011), accounting for 30% of all new cases of cancer in females.[1-4]
In 2011, there were 50,285 new cases of breast cancer in the UK: 49,936 (99%) in women and 349 (less than 1%) in men, giving a female:male ratio of 143:1.[1-4] The
Breast Cancer (C50), Number of New Cases, Crude and European Age-Standardised (AS) Incidence Rates per 100,000 Population, UK, 2011
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||0.8||0.2||0.6||0.1||0.8|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||1.0||0.9||1.2||0.9||1.0|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||123.6||118.5||126.4||111.8||124.0|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||126.0||128.0||133.9||124.9||126.2|
95% LCL and 95% UCL are the 95% lower and
There was little geographical variation in breast cancer incidence in the 1990s, with slightly higher rates in some areas of south England (except London) and slightly lower rates in the far north of England. The latest analysis of breast cancer incidence rates throughout the UK reports only modest variation between most cancer networks, but notably higher rates in parts of the Midlands and north west Scotland, and lower rates in parts of London.[7,8]
- Data were provided by the Office for National Statistics on request, July 2013. Similar data can be found here: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/vsob1/cancer-statistics-registrations--england--series-mb1-/index.html.
- Data were provided by the Northern Ireland Cancer Registry on request, June 2013. Similar data can be found here: http://www.qub.ac.uk/research-centres/nicr/CancerData/OnlineStatistics/
- Data were provided by the Welsh Cancer Intelligence and Surveillance Unit on request, June 2013. Similar data can be found here: http://www.wales.nhs.uk/sites3/page.cfm?orgid=242&pid=51358
- Data were provided by ISD Scotland on request, May 2013. Similar data can be found here: http://www.isdscotland.org/Health-Topics/Cancer/Publications/index.asp#605
- Westlake S, Cooper N. Cancer incidence and mortality: trends in the United Kingdom and constituent countries, 1993 to 2004. Health Statistics Quarterly. 2008. 38.
- Quinn M, Wood H, Cooper N, et al, eds. Cancer Atlas of the United Kingdom and Ireland 1991–2000. Studies on Medical and Population Subjects No. 68. London: ONS; 2005.
- NCIN. Cancer Incidence and Mortality by Cancer Network, UK, 2005. London: NCIN; 2008.
- NCIN. Cancer e-Atlas.