Bowel cancer is the second most common cause of cancer death in the UK (2014), accounting for 10% of all cancer deaths.[1-3] In males, it is the third most common cause of cancer death in the UK (10% of all male cancer deaths), whilst it is the third most common cause of cancer death in females in the UK (10% of all female cancer deaths).
In 2014, there were 15,903 bowel cancer deaths in the UK: 8,566 (54%) in males and 7,337 (46%) in females, giving a male:female ratio of around 12:10.[1-3] The crude mortality rate shows that there are 27 bowel cancer deaths for every 100,000 males in the UK, and 22 for every 100,000 females.
Bowel Cancer (C18-C20), Number of Deaths, Crude and European Age-Standardised (AS) Mortality Rates per 100,000 Population, UK, 2014
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||32.5||35.8||35.5||26.6||33.2|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||34.1||42.5||40.8||35.1||34.7|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||20.7||20.3||24.0||21.6||21.3|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||21.8||24.7||27.7||28.3||22.3|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||26.0||28.0||29.4||25.3||26.6|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||26.9||31.8||32.5||30.7||27.5|
Bowel cancer mortality rates vary significantly throughout the UK, with the highest rates in the North of England and the lowest rates in parts of London and the South.[4,5]
- Data were provided by the Office for National Statistics on request, November 2015. Similar data can be found here: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregistrationsummarytables/previousReleases.
- Data were provided by the Information Services Division (ISD) Scotland on request, November 2015. Similar data can be found here: http://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/statistics-and-data/statistics/statistics-by-theme/vital-events/vital-events-reference-tables.
- Data were provided by the Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency on request, November 2015. Similar data can be found here: http://www.nisra.gov.uk/demography/default.asp2.htmÃÂ¢Ã¢âÂ¬Ã¢â¬Â¹.
- NCIN. Cancer Incidence and Mortality by Cancer Network, UK, 2005. London: NCIN; 2008.
- NCIN. Cancer e-Atlas. European Age-Standardised Mortality Rates, UK (England: former Primary Care Trusts; Wales; Scotland: NHS Health Boards; Northern Ireland: Health and Social Care Trusts), 2009-2011.