Mouth cancer - A to Z
This page contains links to content about mouth cancer, also known as oral cavity cancer. There's a separate A to Z page about oropharyngeal cancer.
Mouth cancer is more common in men than women and the vast majority of cases occur in people aged over 50. Over 5,300 new cases of mouth cancer are diagnosed in the UK every year.
The main risk factors for mouth cancer are smoking and drinking alcohol. At least three out four cases of could be prevented by quitting smoking and drinking less alcohol.
Cancer Research UK is funding research into many aspects of mouth cancer, from causes to treatment. We are also raising awareness of the risk factors and warning signs of the disease.
Or find out more using the links below.
Mouth cancer is a sub-category of Head and neck cancer
Browse content about Mouth cancer
- Press Release: Soaring mouth cancer rates highlight need for greater dentists' awareness
26 September 2012
- Press Release: HPV pushes oral cancer cases past 6,000 a year
16 March 2012
- Press Release: Booze causes at least 13,000 cancers a year in the UK
8 April 2011
- Press Release: HPV predicts survival in tonsil and tongue cancers
3 November 2010
- News story: IARC finds more cancers linked to tobacco and alcohol
4 November 2009
- News story: Number of Britons diagnosed with alcohol-related cancers exceeds Wimbledon's Centre Court
1 July 2009
- Press Release: Sunburn, smoking, alcohol and obesity fuelling rising cancer rates
8 August 2007
- Press Release: Scientists find two routes to mouth cancer
1 August 2006
- News story: Cancer Research UK welcomes study into RNA test for mouth cancer
14 March 2006
- Press Release: GPs offered free course on mouth cancer
11 January 2006
- Press Release: Targeting protein could lead to new treatments for mouth cancer
2 July 2012
- News story: Oral HPV 'more common in men than women'
26 January 2012
- Press Release: Less booze not more veg is key to cut cancer risk
1 December 2010
- News story: Drinking culture blamed for 'appalling' rise in alcohol-related cancers
8 December 2009
- Press Release: Alarming rise in oral cancer rates among forty-somethings
11 August 2009
- News story: Cancer Research UK plays down 'inconsistent' evidence for mouthwash cancer link
14 January 2009
- News story: Heavy drinkers risking mouth cancer
10 November 2006
- Press Release: Bangladeshis unaware of mouth cancer risk - Cancer Research UK
13 June 2006
- News story: Alcohol cancer risks "underestimated" say researchers
2 February 2006
- Press Release: Alcohol is linked to rise in mouth cancer cases but few are of danger
16 November 2005
Question about cancer? Contact our information nurse team