Cancer incidence statistics
331,487 people in the UK were diagnosed with cancer in 2011.
Stats, info and publications
See our Key Facts for a summary of the main stats and information.
Download our publications about these statistics:
- All cancers combined Key Facts (January 2014)
- Cancer Statistics report: Incidence (January 2014)
- Cancer Statistics report: Cancer incidence and mortality in the UK for the 10 most common cancers (January 2014)
- Data Table: Cancer cases and rates by country in the UK (January 2014)
- Data Table: Cancer incidence and mortality rates in the UK (January 2014)
- Data Table: Cancer cases and deaths in the UK (January 2014)
- Summary report: The most common cancers in the world in comparison to those diagnosed in the UK (May 2012) - update coming in 2014
Use our local cancer statistics tool to find and compare statistics information and intelligence about cancer in areas across the UK.
The latest incidence statistics available for all cancers in the UK are 2011. Find out why these are the latest statistics available.
The ICD codes for all cancers combined and incidence by age are ICD-10 C00-C97 excluding C44 which includes all malignant neoplasms excluding non-melanoma skin cancer (NMSC). NMSCs are often excluded from cancer incidence statistics because they are extremely common and registration is known to be incomplete.
ICD codes for incidence of common cancers are detailed within the types of cancer content.
Incidence lifetime risk statistics were calculated from UK incidence 2010 data.
Prevalence statistics were estimated from UK incidence 2008 data.
Specific questions and answers about some of Cancer Research UK's statistics and information and explanations on terminology used for statistics and reporting of cancer, and the methods used to calculate some of the statistics are also available.
We would like to acknowledge the essential work of the cancer registries in the United Kingdom and Ireland Association of Cancer Registries, without which there would be no data.
Question about cancer? Contact our information nurse team