Decorative image

Getting diagnosed

Your GP will ask you about your symptoms including what they are, when you get them and whether anything you do makes them better or worse. They will also examine you. This usually includes feeling your tummy (abdomen) and the lymph nodes in your neck and under your arm. They will then decide about whether to refer you for tests or to a specialist.

Referral to a specialist

Find out when GPs refer people to see a specialist doctor for oesophageal cancer.


Find out what screening is and the tests people at high risk of oesophageal cancer can have.

Tests to diagnose

Doctors can use an endoscopy or a barium swallow to help diagnose oesophageal cancer.

Tests to stage

These tests find out the position of the cancer, how big it is and whether it has spread.

Last reviewed: 
17 May 2016

Information and help