You will probably go into hospital on the day of your operation.
It’s worth sorting out a few things before you go into hospital. These might include:
- care for children or other loved ones
- care for your pets
- care for your house
- cancelling your milk or newspapers
What to take with you
- nightgowns or pyjamas
- dressing gown
- contact lenses, solution, glasses and a case
- wash bag with soap, a flannel or sponge, toothbrush and toothpaste
- sanitary wear or tampons
- small amount of money
- medicines you normally take
- magazines, books, playing cards
- headphones and music to listen to
- a tablet or smartphone for web browsing, entertainment and phone calls
Family and friends
Your family or friends can go in with you to help you settle in. You’ll need to check the time of your operation and when the visiting times are.
The time it takes to do the operation depends on the type of surgery you have. Most operations take a few hours. The nurse will give you numbers for your family or friends to phone to find out how you are.
Time in hospital
You are likely to be in hospital for between 7 to 15 days depending on the type of operation you have and your recovery.