Read about screening for brain tumours.
No screening available
There is no national screening programme because:
- this condition is very rare, so many people would have unnecessary tests
- the benefits don't outweigh the costs
What is screening?
Screening means testing people for early stages of a disease before they have any symptoms. For screening to be useful the tests:
- need to be reliable at picking up cancers
- overall must do more good than harm to people taking part
- must be something that people are willing to do
Screening tests are not perfect and have some risks. The screening programme should also be good value for money for the NHS.
A brain tumour is generally not a common condition.Talk to your GP if you think you are at higher than average risk of having a brain tumour.