Uterine (womb) cancer is the fourth most common cancer in females in the UK (2012), accounting for 5% of all new cases of cancer in females.[1-4]
In 2012, there were 8,617 new cases of uterine cancer in the UK.[1-4] The
Uterine Cancer (C54-C55), Number of New Cases, Crude and European Age-Standardised (AS) Incidence Rates per 100,000 Population, UK, 2012
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||27.9||26.1||24.9||26.6||27.8|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||29.2||31.4||28.9||34.3||29.0|
95% LCL and 95% UCL are the 95% lower and upper confidence limits around the
ASR calculated with ESP2013. Not comparable with ASRs calculated with ESP1976.
In the 1990s there was a north-south divide in corpus uteri (ICD-10 C54) incidence rates across Great Britain, with higher rates in the midlands, south and east of England, and lower rates in Scotland and the north of England. The latest analyses of uterine cancer incidence rates across the former cancer networks throughout the UK reports significant variation with higher than average rates in Wales, Yorkshire, the Midlands and Anglia and lower than average rates in Scotland, the North West, and Southern England.[5,6]
- Data were provided by the Office for National Statistics on request, July 2014. Similar data can be found here: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/vsob1/cancer-statistics-registrations--england--series-mb1-/index.html.
- Data were provided by ISD Scotland on request, April 2014. Similar data can be found here: http://www.isdscotland.org/Health-Topics/Cancer/Publications/index.asp.
- Data were provided by the Welsh Cancer Intelligence and Surveillance Unit on request, April 2014. Similar data can be found here: http://www.wales.nhs.uk/sites3/page.cfm?orgid=242&pid=59080.
- Data were provided by the Northern Ireland Cancer Registry on request, June 2014. Similar data can be found here: http://www.qub.ac.uk/research-centres/nicr/.
- National Cancer Intelligence Network (NCIN). Cancer Incidence and Mortality by Cancer Network, UK, 2005. London: NCIN; 2008.
- National Cancer Intelligence Network (NCIN). Cancer e-Atlas. Accessed January 2014.