Bone sarcoma accounts for 0.2% of all new cancer cases in the UK (2013). They account for 0.2% of the total in males, and 0.2% of the total in females.[1-4]
In 2013, there were 582 new cases of bone sarcoma in the UK: 309 (53%) in males and 273 (47%) in females, giving a male:female ratio of around 11:10.[1-4] The
Bone Sarcoma (C40-C41), Number of New Cases, Crude and European Age-Standardised (AS) Incidence Rates per 100,000 Population, Countries of the UK, 2013
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||0.9||0.5||0.9||0.1||0.9|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||1.1||1.5||1.8||1.3||1.2|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||0.8||0.3||0.5||0.1||0.7|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||1.0||1.2||1.1||1.1||0.9|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||0.9||0.6||0.8||0.3||0.9|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||1.0||1.2||1.3||1.0||1.0|
95% LCL and 95% UCL are the 95% lower and upper
ASR calculated with ESP2013. Not comparable with ASRs calculated with ESP1976.
Bone sarcoma incidence rates throughout the UK vary minimally between the former cancer networks.
- Data were provided by the Office for National Statistics on request, July 2015. Similar data can be found here: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/vsob1/cancer-statistics-registrations--england--series-mb1-/index.html.
- Data were provided by ISD Scotland on request, April 2015. Similar data can be found here: http://www.isdscotland.org/Health-Topics/Cancer/Publications/index.asp.
- Data were provided by the Welsh Cancer Intelligence and Surveillance Unit on request, February 2015. Similar data can be found here: http://www.wales.nhs.uk/sites3/page.cfm?orgid=242&pid=59080.
- Data were provided by the Northern Ireland Cancer Registry on request, March 2015. Similar data can be found here: http://www.qub.ac.uk/research-centres/nicr/.
- Bone sarcoma (C40-41) European age standardised incidence rates by UK Cancer Networks, 2008-2010. These data were extracted from the UK Cancer Information Service, version 4.5b 001 on 30/01/2014.