In 2011-2013, there was an average of 2,286 new cases of cancer in teenagers and young adults per year in the UK:[1-4] 1,139 (50%) in males and 1,147 (50%) in females, giving a male:female ratio of around 10:10. The
All Teenagers' and Young Adults' Cancers, Average Number of New Cases per Year, Crude and European Age-Standardised (AS) Incidence Rates per Million Population, Ages 15-24, UK, 2011-2013
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||261.9||269.7||217.8||207.7||262.4|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||281.8||357.0||278.2||310.9||280.7|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||270.0||295.7||247.2||209.0||273.2|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||290.6||389.2||311.7||314.9||292.1|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||268.9||295.6||241.6||223.7||270.5|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||283.2||359.5||285.8||297.6||283.6|
95% LCL and 95% UCL are the 95% lower and upper
ASR calculated with ESP2013. Not comparable with ASRs calculated with ESP1976.
All teenage and young adult cancers for England, Wales and Scotland includes all malignant tumours excluding non-melanoma skin cancers (ICD-10 codes: C00-C97 excluding C44), and all benign/uncertain or unknown behaviour brain, other central nervous system and intracranial tumours (ICD-10 codes: D32-D33, D35.2-D35.4, D42-D43 and D44.3-D44.5, Northern Ireland data includes all the above codes except D33.7, D33.9, D43.7 and D43.9.
An analysis of cancer incidence rates throughout England reported very little geographical variation for all teenagers’ and young adults’ cancers combined.
- Data were provided by the Office for National Statistics on request, July 2015. Similar data can be found here: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/vsob1/cancer-statistics-registrations--england--series-mb1-/index.html.
- Data were provided by ISD Scotland on request, April 2015. Similar data can be found here: http://www.isdscotland.org/Health-Topics/Cancer/Publications/index.asp.
- Data were provided by the Welsh Cancer Intelligence and Surveillance Unit on request, February 2015. Similar data can be found here:http://www.wales.nhs.uk/sites3/page.cfm?orgid=242&pid=59080.
- Data were provided by the Northern Ireland Cancer Registry on request, March 2015. Similar data can be found here: http://www.qub.ac.uk/research-centres/nicr/
- Alston RD, Rowan S, Eden TO, et al. Cancer incidence patterns by region and socioeconomic deprivation in teenagers and young adults in England. Br J Cancer 2007 96:1760-6.