Anal cancer accounts for 0.4% of all new cases in the UK (2013), accounting for 0.2% of all male cases, and 0.5% of all female cases.[1-4]
In 2013, there were 1,233 new cases of anal cancer in the UK: 436 (35%) in males and 797 (65%) in females, giving a male:female ratio of around 5:10.[1-4] The
Anal cancer is one of the few cancers which can occur in both sexes but is more common in females than males. This is at least partly due to sex differences in exposure to risk factors.[5-7]
Anal Cancer (C21), Number of New Cases, Crude and European Age-Standardised (AS) Incidence Rates per 100,000 Population, UK, 2013
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||1.5||1.1||0.9||0.6||1.5|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||1.8||2.5||1.8||2.4||1.8|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||2.3||2.6||2.2||0.8||2.4|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||2.7||4.4||3.5||2.7||2.7|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||1.9||2.1||1.8||1.0||2.0|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||2.2||3.2||2.6||2.3||2.2|
95% LCL and 95% UCL are the 95% lower and upper
ASR calculated with ESP2013. Not comparable with ASRs calculated with ESP1976.
There is only modest variation in anal cancer incidence rates between cancer networks throughout the UK.
- Data were provided by the Office for National Statistics on request, July 2015. Similar data can be found here: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/vsob1/cancer-statistics-registrations--england--series-mb1-/index.html.
- Data were provided by ISD Scotland on request, April 2015. Similar data can be found here: http://www.isdscotland.org/Health-Topics/Cancer/Publications/index.asp.
- Data were provided by the Welsh Cancer Intelligence and Surveillance Unit on request, February 2015. Similar data can be found here: http://www.wales.nhs.uk/sites3/page.cfm?orgid=242&pid=59080.
- Data were provided by the Northern Ireland Cancer Registry on request, march 2015. Similar data can be found here: http://www.qub.ac.uk/research-centres/nicr/.
- Anal cancer (C21) European age-standardised incidence rates by UK Cancer Networks, 2008-2010. These data were extracted from the UK Cancer Information Service, version 4.5b 001 on 10/01/2014