Detecting cancer - A to Z
This page links to content about detecting cancer.
Doctors use many different tests to detect cancer in the body, depending on which particular type and stage of cancer they are looking for.
Many of our scientists and doctors are working hard on finding new and improved ways to detect cancer, as it is easier to treat if it is diagnosed early.
Find out more using the links below.
Browse content about Detecting cancer
- All about cancer
- Breast and testicular self-checks for cancer – what’s the evidence?
- Cancer insight - GP News from Cancer Research UK
- Cancer insight - GP News: Follow-ups are key
- Cancer insight - GP News: PSA testing: the latest advice
- Cancer insight - GP News: Testing cancer risk
- Cancer insight: GP News
- Finding and treating cancer
- How is cancer detected?
- May 2010 podcast transcript
- Our policy on detecting cancer early
- PSA test for prostate cancer
- Prof Ron Laskey
- Spot breast cancer early
- Spot lung cancer early
- Spotting other types of cancer
- Working with patients - Birmingham 2010
- Baseline assessments give local focus for awareness and early detection
- Cancer Insight - Issue 1 - November 2009
- Cancer insight - GP News: Effecting change
- Cancer insight - GP News: IBIS-II Breast Cancer Prevention Study
- Cancer insight - GP News: Promoting early diagnosis
- Cancer insight - GP News: Trials for PARP inhibitors
- Cervical cancer screening
- How is cancer detected and treated?
- July 2010 podcast transcript
- Our impact on bowel cancer
- Our research into screening and early diagnosis
- Prof Gareth Williams
- Screening for other cancers
- Spot cancer early
- Spotting cancer early: the evidence
- Thanks for visiting the Cancer Awareness Roadshow
- Working with patients - Cardiff 2010
- Press Release: Cancer researchers and astronomers team up to beat cancer
20 February 2013
- News story: Late ovarian cancer diagnoses 'are costing lives'
23 January 2013
- News story: US researchers warn against apps to diagnose skin cancer
16 January 2013
- Press Release: Personalised prostate cancer screening may save thousands from unnecessary treatment
5 November 2012
- Press Release: Combining imaging and gene analysis could transform breast cancer diagnosis
24 October 2012
- Press Release: Soaring mouth cancer rates highlight need for greater dentists' awareness
26 September 2012
- News story: Genetic link to Barrett's oesophagus identified for first time
10 September 2012
- News story: Single HPV test 'predicts cancer risk for up to 18 years'
30 July 2012
- News story: Genetic variation 'predicts behaviour of prostate cancer'
8 May 2012
- News story: Series of measures 'could cut bowel cancer deaths by nearly two-thirds'
23 April 2012
- Press Release: CT scans are the best alternative to colonoscopy to investigate bowel cancer symptoms
14 February 2013
- News story: Israeli researchers developing BRCA 'radiation' test
22 January 2013
- Press Release: Friendly nudge prompts 40 per cent to visit GP
27 November 2012
- Press Release: Cancer Research UK's response to the breast screening review
30 October 2012
- Press Release: A simple blood test could be used to detect breast cancer
2 October 2012
- Press Release: People admit risking their health by putting off visit to the GP
18 September 2012
- Press Release: Variation in GP appointment rules linked to emergency presentations for cancer
9 August 2012
- News story: Study confirms 'flexi scope' test reduces bowel cancer deaths
22 May 2012
- Press Release: People fail to list persistent cough as a lung cancer warning
30 April 2012
- News story: Cancer Research UK and Royal College of GPs form new partnership to improve early diagnosis
16 April 2012
- Amanda Ramirez presentation NAEDI research conference (pdf) (582K)
- Alice Simon presentation NAEDI research conference (pdf) (531K)
- Creative Agency Brief Derby (pdf) (103K)
- NAEDI Overview of research literature to inform promoting earlier diagnosis Feb 2010 (pdf) (522K)
- doncastercostings v2 (pdf) (22K)
Question about cancer? Contact our information nurse team